Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Neon tetra questions

I have the big yellow neon tetras. Will attach a pic so you can see exactly what they are. I have seen what I think are pink and blue version of them. I was wondering if I got a mix of the colors if they would school together? If not what other school of fish would look good with them maybe? I'm movin them to a 55 gallon and only have 3 of them and planned on upping their numbers to 7 or 10.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2503090772.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	142747  

Old 01-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Those aren't neon tetras at least whats commonly known as a neon tetra, Paracheirodon innesi

It looks like a white skirt tetra, Gymnocorymbus ternetzi. Either a yellow strain, but most likely died yellow.

Are you asking if these fish would school with the commnly known neon, Paracheirodon innesi? I would say, no.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Those are not neon tetras. I'm honestly not entirely sure what they are, but they are not neons. You may want to edit your title to attract more attention.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by phin View Post
Those aren't neon tetras at least whats commonly known as a neon tetra, Paracheirodon innesi

It looks like a white skirt tetra, Gymnocorymbus ternetzi. Either a yellow strain, but most likely died yellow.

Are you asking if these fish would school with the commnly known neon, Paracheirodon innesi? I would say, no.
Oh that would make a lot of sense. Lol I've been confused on what they are. I was asking if they would school with these picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3745070450.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	142752  
Old 01-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numen Wraith. View Post
Those are not neon tetras. I'm honestly not entirely sure what they are, but they are not neons. You may want to edit your title to attract more attention.
I didn't know that I'm sorry. I don't know how to change my title from my phone.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmack07 View Post
Oh that would make a lot of sense. Lol I've been confused on what they are. I was asking if they would school with these picture:
Hmmm. My guess is that these are all white skirt tetras and they are dyed. I may be wrong, but thats my guess. The only way to find out if they will school together is to put them all in your tank and see. If they are dyed, my guess is that they will, since they don't know which color they are (they don't have a mirror) and genetically they would all be the same. But, then again, I really have no idea about what I'm talking about.

If they do school together though, that would probably look really cool. I think its worth a shot.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yup Skirt Terta but of the genetically modified with jelly fish genes to create the "GLOFISH" variety.

GLOFISH are now being created from Zebra Danios, Tetra, Tiger Barbs, and i heard that Angelfish are next... crazy stuff!
Old 01-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Huh, so not dyed. Thats interesting.

Let us know if they school together.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow that is pretty crazy/interesting. I didn't think I'd like these fish as much as I have. My boyfriend picked them out. But they are pretty entertaining. I am very excited to see what they will look like with the different colors. I shall let you know how it goes.

Tags
neon, neon tetra, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com