neon tetra spacial needs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exitenglish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i just set up my first tank and i have 2 blood tetras and i am thinking about getting several neon tetras. the problem is i have watched them at the store as they pace back and forth, and i remember that i have a tall hexagonal tank and there is more up and down the back and forth. Since neon tetras are middle feeders, they wouldnt pace up or down. is it bad to have less room for about 4 of these neons to go back and forth and more to go up and down?

Yes, I can understand your reservations, and it is really great that you would post here before taking the plunge! Welcome!

A tall 10-gal is quite tricky indeed to stock. 2 serpaes now, so I am thinking a dwarf gourami, and that will be it, IMO. Instead, you could get some neons, as I think they would be okay in there with the serpaes, instead of the gourami, but wait until the tank is cycled, as the neons are sensitive and would not likely survive the process. In either case, sit tight and watch your ammonia and nitrite levels, and do small water changes to control this, and in a matter of weeks you will be cycled and showing nitrates. Once that has happened, post back and we will talk stocking :D

You need to get a test kit that will test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate (ammonia produced in fish waste is broken down to nitrite by one species of bacteria, the nitrite is broken down to nitrate by another species of bacteria, and the nitrate is broken down by a third species of bacteria to N2, gaseous nitrogen, which leaves the tank, completing the nitrogen cycle). Some kits come with all three tests (and a pH test), while others offer the tests individually. The best kits involve a small glass test tube and one or two bottles of test solution. You dip the tube in the tank, filling it with ~5ml of water, and then add drops of the test solution to it. The color of the resulting mixture indicates the level of a chemical in your tank (i.e. ammonia, nitrite etc).

Bad news... The whole test set should set you back $30-60. Check www.bigalsonline.com and www.drfostersmith.com for the best prices. Here's a link to bigals which shows the Hagen master test kit at $40. I'd buy that if I were you: http://www.bigalsonline.com/cgi-bin...inFinishNumber=44&inUID=1064982691.1064982691 It's item #3 on the list ($39.99).

Good luck, and don't hesistate to ask any questions if this is confusing.

A "master fresh water" kit at bigalonline.com cost 11.99, doesn't have nitrate test but I think it was only 4.99. the one I bought was an AP. comes with 4 tubes, and 6 bottles of testing material.

Many of the master test kits do not include nitrates, but once the tank is cycled that is the test you need to determine a water changing schedule, and you rarely test for ammonia or nitrite. I always get nitrate test kits separately.

Back
Top Bottom