Neon Tetras acting wierd.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
My bro has a heavily planted (I think it would be classified heavily) 5.5 gallon with a marina s10 slim filter. We keep the temp about 77 78ish. There is a bubbling dinosaur in it (they used to be scared to death of it but have adjusted). The stocking is just a handful of snails (mostly MTS) 5 neon tetras, and 2 african dwarf frogs. The neon tetras have started acting strange though and one died (there used to be 6). They seem to kinda float with their tails up and lose their red color (the bad ones do). I dont see swelling or anything so I am not thinking neon tetra desease but what could it be?
My only suspects are as following:
Wierd lighting. The light is off during the day but our room is pretty bright. We leave the light on at night because we like to see it as we sleep.
Filter. Wre took out the carbon but havent changed the cartdridge in a long time because it is the only source of bb! I am planning to add a bag of bio material but havent yet and am afraid to remove the cartridge!
Help? Thanks and God bless!

Not sure, have you checked the water just to make sure there aren't any ammonia or nitrites? Also a 5.5 gal is way too small for Neons; they are very active fish and need more horizontal swim room so it's possible they are stressed.

Well I dont have a test kit yet..... But they seemed fine for awhile so I though it was big enough. They are moving to a 20 tall soon so that will be better.

Yeah, its honestly pretty hard to say what could be wrong in a tank that small without a test kit. I agree that 5.5g wouldn't be a good neon home in the long run.
Does your brother keep up with consistent pwc? Neons do lose some of their color when water quality is an issue. I hope they are ok. I suggest doing a big pwc and seeing if they perk up any. Keep up updated! :)

Well the tank is being upgraded tomorrow. Ill let you know how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom