New Additions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's worth a try!! If they grow with them they may not think of them as food!! My dogs don't mind either;) I'm a softy

Hehe I might just try and see how it goes. How are neons or harlequins in a ten gallon btw? I have an empty ten gallon and I am thinking about setting it up. I was thinking about some neons or the rasboras. What do you think? Anything else I could try in the ten gallon?

I had to put my fish in the ten gallon because I had to stain and treat the stand that the 40 gallon was on (I make huge messes changing water I am a klutz haha) and it was starting to look pretty awful so my fish mainly my mollies hate me right now. Maybe they will appreciate their nice big planted tank a little more now ;) You dont know what you got til its gone haha but now that I have it set up somewhat I think I want to find some permanent residents so I definitely want the rasboras but what else?

You could do a beautiful betta, clown killifish, sparkling/pygmy gourami, dwarf gourami, or a small school of pygmy/mini/dwarf corydoras. Those would all be great tankmates for a school of harlequin rasboras. Sorry, but I'm not a big fan of neons, they're usually inbreed, have genetic disorders and aren't too pretty IMO, but it's up to you!

I have been wanting a white betta but I cant seem to find them anywhere other than the very dingy looking white ones sadly :/ But I really like the clown killifish and I have never liked cories but I just fell in love with the pygmy ones! How about cardinals? I will probably just stick with the rasboras. How about loaches? Are there any that can live comfortably in a ten gallon? Sorry for the sporadic post! lol I am just trying out some ideas and seeing what really sticks with me! Would the killifish be okay with a betta? If not how many of the killifish could I do? How many of each fish could I do? Sorry for all the questions!! But I thank you guys for all your help so far!!

I have a white betta!! I rescued it from Walmart!! He has a few black specks up around his neck flap thing. My lfs had a nice half moon white one last time I was in.

I have been wanting a white betta but I cant seem to find them anywhere other than the very dingy looking white ones sadly :/ But I really like the clown killifish and I have never liked cories but I just fell in love with the pygmy ones! How about cardinals? I will probably just stick with the rasboras. How about loaches? Are there any that can live comfortably in a ten gallon? Sorry for the sporadic post! lol I am just trying out some ideas and seeing what really sticks with me! Would the killifish be okay with a betta? If not how many of the killifish could I do? How many of each fish could I do? Sorry for all the questions!! But I thank you guys for all your help so far!!

The dingy white bettas will turn into a beautiful white betta that you'd be proud to own. In their cups they are not shown at their full beauty, but at a small pathetic glimpse of what they could be. Cardinals would be a very tight fit, some people argue that they can fit in there whereas others say only a 20g. From my experience with them a 10g would be fine as long as it is planted, and fairly heavy with them. I'm not the person to ask about loaches, corydoras are more my thing. I wouldn't put the killifish and the betta together. They're both fairly aggressive fish that don't do well with other aggressive fish. If you did some of the smaller rasboras, like the harlequin or espei, you could do 6-7 of those with a male betta and 6 or so of the pygmy corydoras. But that would be full capacity with no wiggle room and dedicated PWCs.

I would lovvvee to find some espei rasboras I absolutely love them!

They're one of my favorite rasboras. Their colors are just fabulous! Another fish to look at that would fit in your tank would be Endler's Livebearers, I have a few of those and man are they pretty!

+1 on the dingy white being beautiful!! Mine was like that. He looked so pitiful in that nasty cup. The water was so dirty you could hardly tell what he looked like!! That pet place has those rasboras. I have thought of ordering some. I got some plants from there and they were all very nice!! I would put too much in with the betta. I would be afraid of stressing him out.

Yeah thank goodness I haven't lost anymore! Knock on wood! They don't really school at all though. I only see them group up with 2 or three every once in a while. Is there a reason behind that?

Schooling is a behavior you'll see only when predators are nearby. If your fish are relaxed enough to just hang out with a few friends, then you're doing okay.

Ok thank you guys so much!! I think I want to try the betta (I am a sucker for wanting to rescue them in those cups ughh) and the rasboras and cories but those endlers are wonderful too!! And I figure it will be pretty decently planted as I have a good bit of plants I can trim from my 40 gallon and put in it. So does that all sound okay? Thank you guys again!!

Well I will get started on it as soon as my fish are back in their other tank (if the stupid stain would ever dry grrr!!) Does anyone know where I could find some of the endlers or the espei rasboras? I must have some!! and we dont really have any local fish stores here and the one we do have only really carries the norm and mostly saltwater or very large fish (arowanas/oscars). Oh I do have one more question though. I currently have three otos I was wanting to get a few more for my 40 gallon would three more be okay?

And I just wanted to thank everyone again you guys have been a huge help! I just love this website :) Hopefully in the next few weeks I will be able to get the ten gallon started!!

Well I will get started on it as soon as my fish are back in their other tank (if the stupid stain would ever dry grrr!!) Does anyone know where I could find some of the endlers or the espei rasboras? I must have some!! and we dont really have any local fish stores here and the one we do have only really carries the norm and mostly saltwater or very large fish (arowanas/oscars). Oh I do have one more question though. I currently have three otos I was wanting to get a few more for my 40 gallon would three more be okay?

Check out the classifieds. I think SeverumMama has some of both.

Ok ok ok ONE more question sorry guys :/ lol ok the ten gallon currently is bare bottom as I just set it up for a temp home for my fish til the tank stand dried but I really like the look of it...would the cories be okay with a bare bottom tank?? I was reading about them and everyone said they are much easier to keep clean and what not and plus for some reason i just really like the look of it with the ten gallon. I figure eventually I would probably put something in there just not anytime soon I doubt.

You could or you could do a thin layer of sand. My cories love the sand in their tank. And I don't see why not with the loaches;) if you can't find those species on here they do have them at that pet place online but I would recommend ordering them all at one time as shipping is alittle expensive:) post some pics when ur done:)

I am hoping to get some espei rasboras! Fingers and toes crossed!! I just wish the darn stand would dry so I could get my 40 gallon back up and running!! I swear someone must have mixed in a gallon of glue or something it just doesnt want to fully dry!! Im not sure if I am going to be able to do the ten gallon planted or not as I dont have a light for it unless I can find one rather cheap for it because I am going to have to buy a filter for it also so Im not sure if I will be able to do the light yet sadly :/ Anyone know anywhere to find some decently priced lights for a ten gallon? And I will definately get pics up as soon as I get it going!! :)

I am hoping to get some espei rasboras! Fingers and toes crossed!! I just wish the darn stand would dry so I could get my 40 gallon back up and running!! I swear someone must have mixed in a gallon of glue or something it just doesnt want to fully dry!! Im not sure if I am going to be able to do the ten gallon planted or not as I dont have a light for it unless I can find one rather cheap for it because I am going to have to buy a filter for it also so Im not sure if I will be able to do the light yet sadly :/ Anyone know anywhere to find some decently priced lights for a ten gallon? And I will definately get pics up as soon as I get it going!! :)

You'll be able to plant it:) I have gone to GoodWills, Flea Markets and Garage sales and found hoods and lights for $5, another great idea is to get a lamp or something and getting CFL bulbs from WalMart. All that costs around $10 all together. For a filter, sponge filters! Cheap, easy and effective.

Hope that helps a bit!

Back
Top Bottom