new babies??!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patola_l

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, just got home from a vactaion, and my mom looked after my fish...a 45 gal tank, with 1 figure 8 puffer and 2 black mollies... they tank has been established for 5 months now, 3 months the fish have been together....when i got home i noticed babies! Not sure what to do...there is about 15-20 by my counting and they are about a centimeter long.... i have not noticed the puffer eating them....but i wouldnt be surprised if he soon does. I dont have a spare tank for these guys?! what should i do?

Hello,

It's your choice what you want to do. You can either get them out of them tank, put them into a new one and raise them or let the cycle of life go on and let the Puffer eat them. Even if they do get eaten, it is possible for the mollies to have babies again.

Go to your LFS and look for a net breeder. I know PetSmart sells them. It's basically a very fine net box that suction cups to the top inside of your tank. It will keep the babies in the same water but away from harm.

but even if i get the breeder, what do i do once they get larger!? thanks for all the help

Once they get larger, you can release them back into the main tank. If you decide you don't want to keep them, there are many LFS that will take fish as "donations" and resell them.

I would sell them really cheap to other people when they get a little bigger or use them as food while they are small. No point in keeping the babies if you don't have room for them and don't plan on getting more tanks for them.

Back
Top Bottom