New fish being bullied

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zachary80

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey this is my first post outside of my introduction (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f59/new-to-forum-169354.html#post1543664).

I registered because my new Betta is getting bullied by my Bloodfin Tetra. Bought the Betta yesterday and he seemed like he was shy but fine... this morning he was hiding behind the filter. When I scared him out he was fine for about 10 seconds before the tetra chased him back.

All I could think of was using filling a spare vase with aquarium water. So now the betta is just kinda hanging out apart from the aquarium. Problem is that starting tomorrow the temps are going to start dropping below 60 overnight, and I don't have a longterm plan.

Any ideas?

many tetra become nippy if they don't have a school. since you only have 1 tetra, this could be the problem.

many tetra become nippy if they don't have a school. since you only have 1 tetra, this could be the problem.

Wasn't aware of this. I ended up with the one Bloodfin as a long story...but basically the other two remaining neons grew old and died and he got along fine with the previous Betta

bloodfins are known for fin nipping

Okay well this has been unknown to me. Originally I had neon tetras but replaced them with bloodfins when neons were not looking so good at the store, the guy obviously wasn't aware of the conflict (local pet shop, not just aquaria)

So what should my next steps be?

I had the same issues with my serpea tetras and my gourami. originally, I had 2 and they quit messing with my gourami when I filled the school out to six. You could try that.

If I get more Bloodfins they may worsen the problem if they are inherently nippy... would neons shoal with them? When I had two neons and one bloodfin, they seemed fine, but the more I think about it the bloodfin shows some different characteristics. He mostly stays near the very stop, constantly moving, and is as aggressive as a betta when it comes to food. I remember neons as living near the middle of the tank, not constantly circulating, and often letting the food fall from the surface before eating

I left some things out of my OP (meant to include them for those who didn't click the link) -

I have 3 corys, one of which I think is aeneus cory (bronze), and two smaller ones which are spotted. Then there is the Bloodfin Tetra and the Dragon Betta.

The new "dragon" is relatively small, and probably slightly less body mass than the bloodfin, which I assumed to mean he was young. I chose him because he was active and healthy looking. He is basically a mottled silver/blue color.

My tank is only 10 gallons. I thought I mentioned that but am not seeing it anywhere. So even if it was a good idea, I shouldn't really add four more bloodfins.

Right now I'm thinking I either need to split into two tanks or get rid of the bloodfin. Further reading makes me think I would need 6 bloodfins, which combined with the corys would probably max the tank

Honestly he seems stressed which is what happens when schooling fish aren't kept in the proper school. I was skeptical at first as well, but once I bumped up the scgool, they kept to them selves and I haven't had a prob with nippin since april. A small school of 6 tetra, 3 cories and a betta sounds about right for a 10 gal, but it is your choice.

If I add fish and they still harass the betta, I will either need to get a second tank or return some fish. As long as other people agree I won't be overloading my tank, it is probably worth a shot

Back
Top Bottom