New Member, stocking assistance needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got some ammonia from Ace, then went to the pet store to pick up a test kit (which they were extremely limited on) and some dwarf hair grass (which is a pain to keep from floating). While I was there I was talking to one of the employees and told them about adding ammonia to cycle the tank and she looked at me like I was crazy! Here is how that conversation went. Her: "No! You should NEVER have ammonia in your tank, your ammonia levels should ALWAYS be at 0 or it will kill your fish" me: "I don't have any fish yet, I will just be using it to help the cycling process. The levels will be at 0 when I put fish in." her: "It doesn't matter. Never put ammonia in your tank."

So I got home and put my rocks in from my dad's house, which to my surprise tested ok for everything other than nitrite (which was off the charts). I think he is trying to kill that Pacu, personally. I haven't added any ammonia yet because I want to see how the tank does after a few days with just the rock's bacteria helping out. If nothing is happening, I will add some ammonia.

Agh. Embarrassing. If there are no fish in the tank, the ammonia is hurting NOTHING; it's just food for the bacteria you want to colonize. Her advice refers to when you have fish in the tank: ammonia is toxic to them. I'm not an expert, as I've only started two tanks myself, but....

Don't listen to her...you NEED some ammonia to feed the colony of ammonia-processing bacteria. If your seeder gravel is processing ammonia into nitrites, you need the ammonia to feed that particular bacteria and keep it alive.

You could probably add about three neon tetras at this point, if you wanted to fish-in cycle: with the bacteria colony to process the ammonia, the live plants, and the test kit you mentioned, you should be able to fish-in cycle humanely if you stock SLOWLY, keep a sharp eye on your parameters, and do partial water changes... Thats when the NO ammonia rule kicks in; if it's registering on your test kit, it needs to be removed though water changes. Weather you do fish-in or fish less, you need some ammonia.

More experienced forum-goers, feel free to chime in: like I said, I'm not as seasoned as some :)

I'm in no rush, I will keep going with the fishless cycle just to be on the safer side. I did add some ammonia in, up to 4ppm and when I get off work it will have been 24 hours, I will test the tank and see how much ammonia its converting and follow the guide from there I guess.

Sounds good! Just wanted to make sure you didn't loose your seeder colony :)

Thank you for that.

Any suggestions on my previous post about filtration and how many more fish I might add after ditching the mollies (post 18)

Ok, I am going to take everybody's advise and eliminate the mollies from the tank and add more of the others. How many more of each fish can a really get away with though? Without the mollies this is what I am at...
AquStockImage.php

It also says that my filtration capacity is only at 89% with this current setup. The calculator isn't factoring in the Cory Cats ability to clean contaminants or the plants extracting organic waste, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate.

Will this make a noticeable enough difference in the filtration of my aquarium or should I upgrade my filtration regardless, to be on the safer side of things?

Thank you, everybody for all of your help so far.

Looks like a good stock although I'd bump up the neons and cories a bit. 8 neons (or cardinals if you can get them instead) and 5-6 cories would be perfectly fine. Doubling your filtration is always a good idea. For a good HOB on that size tank I'd look at an Aquaclear 50 or 70.

Looks like a good stock although I'd bump up the neons and cories a bit. 8 neons (or cardinals if you can get them instead) and 5-6 cories would be perfectly fine. Doubling your filtration is always a good idea. For a good HOB on that size tank I'd look at an Aquaclear 50 or 70.

With 8 neons and 5 corydoras and no additional guppies that puts the tank at 95% stocking level, which is great for me. Not going to overstock the tank but will have plenty of color, variety and activity :D I will have to stick with the 5 neons and 3 corydoras to start with, until I can justify spending an extra $40-$50 for a new filter :cry:

So only the 1 guppy then? Is there another type of fish that might school with the guppy, I don't want an emo guppy getting all of it's tank-mates depressed lol.

In other news. I just tested my tank and my ammonia levels are at 3.0, so they are dropping. I will dose it again tomorrow. Not too sure where the other readings are supposed to be with these type of fish...

Right now I am at.
Water temp: 82°F
GH: 140-ish, KH: 120, pH: 7.5, NO²: 0, NO³: 20

Ok, I am going to take everybody's advise and eliminate the mollies from the tank and add more of the others. How many more of each fish can a really get away with though? Without the mollies this is what I am at...
AquStockImage.php

It also says that my filtration capacity is only at 89% with this current setup. The calculator isn't factoring in the Cory Cats ability to clean contaminants or the plants extracting organic waste, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate.

Will this make a noticeable enough difference in the filtration of my aquarium or should I upgrade my filtration regardless, to be on the safer side of things?

Thank you, everybody for all of your help so far.

My opinion differs a little with regards to stocking.

I'm going by just what you have written there, not assuming you''ll up your filtration later. The short version: I'd add the tetras first, with the centerpiece fish, add a guppy or two to your list, and add the corys last after your get your plants settled in.

I'm not very familiar with the program. I have no idea how they calculate their filtration rating....I keep my tanks at about a 100% filtration rating according to them, and do a small PWC bi-weekly and my parameters are staying good at about a month in. I also keep live plants in all my tanks, so that may also help with oxygenation and water quality.

I don't keep bottom-feeders myself, because I have very small tanks (currently renting my home, want to move soon). From my understanding, they don't do much to improve contaminant levels; they actually need their own food source (sinking pellets) to maintain their health. The info on how much they do to 'clean' the tank is mixed....also, they will root around and nibble plants, so...they may eat those plants if you add them before the plants establish. Some zucchini in the tank may distract them. In any case, they add interest to the bottom of the tank and corys are very active, entertaining little fish.

I'm not at all familiar with Apistogramma agassizii...but I break out in the cold sweats anytime someone mentions putting cichlids in with tropical community :ROFLMAO: I looked it up on just one site, and they claim it's peaceful and will tolerate a ph of 7, so I guess it's ok.

I'd add a guppy or two because, with guppies, color is usually what you're going for in a community tank; a good food and some company will make them shine...you can get two or three in any color combination and they'll be happy.

Although you might up the guppy count at the expense of even bigger schools, I think the amounts of schooling fish you have there are adequate to keep the fish satisfied. If your goal is variety and not perfect schooling behavior, I think you'll be fine.

My opinion differs a little with regards to stocking.

I'm going by just what you have written there, not assuming you''ll up your filtration later. The short version: I'd add the tetras first, with the centerpiece fish, add a guppy or two to your list, and add the corys last after your get your plants settled in.

I don't keep bottom-feeders myself, because I have very small tanks (currently renting my home, want to move soon). From my understanding, they don't do much to improve contaminant levels; they actually need their own food source (sinking pellets) to maintain their health. The info on how much they do to 'clean' the tank is mixed....also, they will root around and nibble plants, so...they may eat those plants if you add them before the plants establish. Some zucchini in the tank may distract them. In any case, they add interest to the bottom of the tank and corys are very active, entertaining little fish.

Cories don't need zucchini, they don't eat plants ! I agree they do need their own food :) Mine eat frozen brine shrimp and blood worms, Omega One sinking shrimp pellets and Color Flakes etc...

They may uproot little stuff like Dwarf Hairgrass. But those are high light plants. Most easy plants will be fine.
Crypts are a fav of mine ?

I add my plants early on while I'm cycling.

These are my C habrosus in my 10g
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397229931.344730.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cories don't need zucchini, they don't eat plants ! I agree they do need their own food :)

I'm seeing all kinds of differing info on the webs... many say they eat only meat, with others reporting them destroying and eating plants, and needing spirulina or other plant matter in their diet....maybe that's just underfed ones that are eating plants? I desperately want a bigger tank so I can keep them myself and get some first-hand knowledge :ROFLMAO:

I'm really curious to know: Do you have any opinion on how much they do for "tank maintenance"? People buy them all the time to clean tanks, and I'm just not sure what to tell them. I just say not to get any fish purely for maintenance, if you don't enjoy and want them as just another fish.

I'm seeing all kinds of differing info on the webs... many say they eat only meat, with others reporting them destroying and eating plants, and needing spirulina or other plant matter in their diet....maybe that's just underfed ones that are eating plants? I desperately want a bigger tank so I can keep them myself and get some first-hand knowledge :ROFLMAO:

I'm really curious to know: Do you have any opinion on how much they do for "tank maintenance"? People buy them all the time to clean tanks, and I'm just not sure what to tell them. I just say not to get any fish purely for maintenance, if you don't enjoy and want them as just another fish.

Plants are safe from cories, except sometimes as Coursair mentioned plants like dwarf hair grass or HC can get uprooted when the cories are sifting around. They are helpful sometimes in that they'll often eat the food that floats to the bottom that the middle and top dwellers miss, but it's really more of a myth told by pet store employees that they're a complete clean up crew.

Thank you everybody for all of the great ideas/help. I think I have figured out what I am going to do. I will put 3 corys in (47% stocking level) first, then after a week or so I will add in 8 tetras and 3 guppies (83% stocking/77% filtration). It might take me a little while to locate the apisto I am looking for, but when I find it I will add it into the tank (94% stocking) and change to a Aquaclear 70 (225% filtration). How does that sound? Good stock?

With the guppies... I DON'T want to breed. Do I still need to do 1m/2f or can I do all males without issues?

whg0p2.jpg

You should be able to do all males without issues.
Nice tank! Corys like places to go underneath where they can escape the light, have you considered adding driftwood to your aquarium?

Good to know. I work at a fish store....and I tell people not to get them as cleaners....maybe the company wouldn't be happy with me, buttttt...feh. :angel:

And yeah, male guppys together will be buds, until you put a female in their tank, then it's war....love and war :)

You should be able to do all males without issues.
Nice tank! Corys like places to go underneath where they can escape the light, have you considered adding driftwood to your aquarium?

I have definitely considered getting a long or hollow rock or maybe a piece of driftwood to make some hiding places, but at the LPS all I can find are things that don't look realistic enough. I want a natural looking tank with no cartoony stuff in it.... It is going to be very tough to keep my gf from getting a bubble clam or treasure chest though :nono:

You could also try looking outdoors for any interesting rocks or pieces of driftwood. There's a great article in AA's article section about using things found in nature in the home aquarium and how to tell if they're safe. EBay and other websites sell 'WYSIWYG' pieces of driftwood too.

I would go with 2 male Guppies and up to Cories to 5 or 6. They do best in larger groups. You can def start with 3 and see how it goes.

Much of my info is from personal experience plus Planet Catfish. Those guys are serious and have very accurate info, plus they are breeding as many species as they can.

I don't buy them as cleaners, I buy them because they are awesome fish.

If stay away from neons though, they need perfect conditions and will die if water conditions swing too much.

So many conflicting opinions. Who would have thought owning a fish tank could be so complicated. And to think I have a low-tech freshwater tank with plants that haven't even started to grow (or die, we will see).

Back
Top Bottom