New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LykeOMGee

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I got a little 5g tank from my friend. It's just a little plastic one but she just gave it to me so I'm not complaining! :) I was planning on having live plants, sand, driftwood and possibly a couple small rocks in it as well as a Betta and/or shrimp/snails. It has a small crack in the side, but when I put water in it, it doesn't leak. I will be putting a small amount of silicone on it just incase. The only thing is it doesn't have a light with it and I'm pretty sure Im going to need a light source for the plants.

If I just get a small lamp to sit behind it and shine light into the tank would that work? Will I need the lid on it though or can I have the tank lidless?
Also what type of light bulb would be best for the small tank? I don't want the tank to over heat by the light.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image-2531256299.jpg
    image-2531256299.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 58
  • image-1554758959.jpg
    image-1554758959.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 59
  • image-2442321704.jpg
    image-2442321704.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 53
And if I can keep the lid on, can someone point me in the direction of making my own light at attached to the lid? Like some little LEDs or something. Thanks

LykeOMGee said:
And if I can keep the lid on, can someone point me in the direction of making my own light at attached to the lid? Like some little LEDs or something. Thanks

For my plants I jus use a standard lamp and they are fine. Or you can set it at your window and let the sun light take care of them

The sun could possibly give you algae. I think a top is a good idea because bettas jump. A lamp is fine just use a daylight cfl. You could probably use a clear lid and then you wouldn't need to shine the Lamp thru the side which would be ok but not preferable as your fish maybe disoriented by an unnaturally positioned light source

M1k3y_gumi said:
The sun could possibly give you algae. I think a top is a good idea because bettas jump. A lamp is fine just use a daylight cfl. You could probably use a clear lid and then you wouldn't need to shine the Lamp thru the side which would be ok but not preferable as your fish maybe disoriented by an unnaturally positioned light source

Thanks, I ordered a couple LED strips and since they are waterproof I was going to stick them on the underside of the lid. Not sure how well they will work. Will low light plants grow under two 30cm 12V(I think) strips? They were only .97 cents so I figured I'd try them out.

With LEDs the wattage acctually gives you a fairly accurate information on light output. Unless they were meant for plants I don't think you'll have more than low light.

M1k3y_gumi said:
With LEDs the wattage acctually gives you a fairly accurate information on light output. Unless they were meant for plants I don't think you'll have more than low light.

Okay, so I can still grow low light plants under two of them?

I've heard that LEDs don't really do anything for plants, but I'm not sure of that. I don't think its a big deal though. As long as you get some low light plants and you put it in a spot that maybe isn't in direct sunlight, but isn't dark during the day it will probably get enough light. The plants just aren't going to grow very fast.

Make sure you get aquarium safe silicone. Good luck.

smallfry53 said:
I've heard that LEDs don't really do anything for plants, but I'm not sure of that. I don't think its a big deal though. As long as you get some low light plants and you put it in a spot that maybe isn't in direct sunlight, but isn't dark during the day it will probably get enough light. The plants just aren't going to grow very fast.

Make sure you get aquarium safe silicone. Good luck.

Thanks! I definitely have had too much fun with silicone and know exactly which one to get. I made a lava rock background for my cray tank and fixed up a couple cracks around the top.

Back
Top Bottom