New tank for dorm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shamilton1021

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey I am looking to invest in a tank for my dorm room I figure that no more than around 5 gallons would be what I am looking at as far as size. I was wanting some advice on set up such as what to really do before I put fish in, what fish are best, what to do to maintain the tank properly. I plan on investing in a BIG tank when I get into my apartment off campus in january. I had an idea of some fish I would like. Please give your feed back and maybe what fish would be best.

Fish I think are cool:
Black fin sharks

pictus catfish

plecostomus

african cichlids

Hi-fin black tetras

algae eater

tiger barbs

beta fish

Like I said I am open to suggestions from those who have a lot of experience in this area. I am willing to maintain how ever I need to.

Thanks for your time.

the only thing on that list would be a betta...and for algae eater if u mean snails :) i hav a 5gal w/ a betta and 2 snails in it, its great

Most of the fish listed are way to big for a 5 gal. Actually there isn't much you can do with a 5 other than a betta. I would suggest a 10 gal as an alternative. Its still small but there are lots more fish suitable for a 10 than a 5

I mean an algea eater like the fish lol....... and I was wanting something more than just one fish swimming around lol........ 10 gal is a lil to big for my dorm room as far as space goes so I am going with a 5 gal till I get out of the dorm room

There are several different fish called "algae eaters" and I don't know of any that are suitable for a 5 gal. Most small fish are schoolers which should be kept in groups of 6 or more and thus wont fit in a 5. Idk maybe someone will have better advice but all I can think of for a 5 would be a betta

I forgot to mention my only resource is walmart for now. so shrimp and stuff like that is a little out of the way for me

If I was just going to get a beta I will just go with the 3.5 gal round tank instead of the 5 gal. I really want a cool tank :(

shamilton1021 said:
I forgot to mention my only resource is walmart for now. so shrimp and stuff like that is a little out of the way for me

Ouch. Personally I wouldn't buy any fish from walmart. You could get lucky and get a healthy betta. And that pretty much kills the idea of shrimp and live plants

You don't even have a petco or Petsmart. They are much better than walmart even if it's a little far away go there.

If I was just going to get a beta I will just go with the 3.5 gal round tank instead of the 5 gal. I really want a cool tank :(

bettas need 5gal minimum, and if 5 is the biggest you can get, a betta is pretty much the only "fish" that will fit in there

New said:
bettas need 5gal minimum, and if 5 is the biggest you can get, a betta is pretty much the only "fish" that will fit in there

Actually some small killies and some nano fish can

I agree that you can buy fish online. How much depends on who you buy from.
There are not many fish that will fit in a 5 gallon. Bettas are actually quite active when they have space to swim in instead of being in one of those ridiculous little cups. Another option would be a dwarf puffer. Or a shrimp tank. Or ember tetras, or sparkling gourami. I don't think WalMartn carries any of those species however. If you have to go with WalMart, a betta is probably your only option.
And I agree that none of the other fish on your list would fit into a 5 gallon.
Also, make sure to chekc with your RA that tanks are allowed. Some places do not allow them at all.

what fish would be good for this tank then besides a beta...... how should I decorate it ....... does anyone know a website to buy fish from thats good

what fish would be good for this tank then besides a beta...... how should I decorate it ....... does anyone know a website to buy fish from thats good
Well, you can buy fish on this website sometimes. Also, people say aquabid.com is good.
If you don't want a betta, you can get 6 ember tetras plus a nerite snail and some colored shrimp. There are also chili rasbora.

Back
Top Bottom