New tank, possibly cichlids. Opinions Requested

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello. We are considering setting up a tank about 50 to 65 gallons. We don't want fish that will get terribly large, but my wife likes saltwater fish. I do to, but I don't wan to mess with a saltwater tank... At least not yet.

So, it looks like cichlids can be very pretty fish that are as colorful as saltwater. So, my question is this... I like the community aquarium. What else can I put in with the cichlids? We want the cichlids to be the feature, but I'm new at this so welcome any ideas... Even if you tell me there are better options than cichlids.

Thanks

Personally I prefer community, this way you can have a variety of fish. Also they are plenty of community fish out there that are just as good looking as cichlids.

A plecostomus is the Ono thing that will get along with cichlids, my friend had about 6 in her 60 g and all except the pleco and one bully cichlid are now dead. Try more peaceful dwarf cichlids or even gouramis, which look fairly similair and aren't so aggressive.

Is it true I could, even should, run more fish if I go with cichlids to help prevent territorial fighting? I read that the 1" of fish per gallon of water rule doesn't apply to these guys.

Well you still need to be careful, and more cichlids wand more cleaning, but more fish does make it harder for one fish specifically to be picked on. Also, change up the scenery and rearrange an aquarium with cichlids every once in awhile so they don't get too territorial. Rams should work with cichlids too, just watch for excessive bullying on one fish. If you want color, cichlids are good, but if you want something a little feisty it might be better to go with loaches or tiger barbs.

And 1 inch per fish rule is horrible, there really aren't any good rules of thumb that apply to all fish in all conditions. Try aqadvisor.com

If your interested in setting up a cichlid tank you should post in the Cichlid Forum where there are alot of cichlid people to help you.

A plecostomus is the Ono thing that will get along with cichlids, my friend had about 6 in her 60 g and all except the pleco and one bully cichlid are now dead. Try more peaceful dwarf cichlids or even gouramis, which look fairly similair and aren't so aggressive.

Not true. There are many fish that can be housed with cichlids.

Check out Bolivian rams, they are peaceful cichlids, they are hardier than most other rams, but they still need a cycled tank with good water params. You just have to be careful not get to many in one space. I have 4 in a 55g and I'm going to put two in my 30g to split them up soon.

You can set up a mbuna tank - African cichlids from lake malawi. The typical mbuna is 6" or less. There are dozens and dozens of different mbuna species available to the average hobbiest. You can create a community-like environment by mixing and matching these different species.

Sydontis catfish also go very well with mbuna.

Check out Bolivian rams, they are peaceful cichlids, they are hardier than most other rams, but they still need a cycled tank with good water params. You just have to be careful not get to many in one space. I have 4 in a 55g and I'm going to put two in my 30g to split them up soon.

I have to say rams should work, and some catfish might along with cichlids. No one I know has had much luck with them though.

Back
Top Bottom