New Tank, what to stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phillyfan33

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am trying to decide how I am going to stock my new 38 gallon long tank, so I was wondering if anyone could help me or advise me on what would be a good, beginner's stock. I have not had any big time tanks rather than 10-20 gallon gold fish tanks. This will be my first independent tank to clean, take care of, etc. Therefore I do not want to dive into having fish that require expert care and such. I have a few ideas of fish that I would like to have, but I see completely different views upon what is compatible with what.

With that being said, I am interested in:
- Cichlids (of all sorts/species)
- Clown plecos
- Cory catfish
- Freshwater "sharks"
- The electric blue lobster (I just think it is cool, but am aware it is not able to live with anything other than itself since it attacks sleeping fish and all)
- Killifish,
- Freshwater Pufferfish.

Again, these are the fish I have interests in, I just do not know which are compatible with which, so if anyone has any of these or just has knowledge about them and would share, it would be very appreciated!

I first hand Love the color of cichlids

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I actually have an electric blue JD his color is awesome

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Those look really cool too, especially with the black spots on them

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you establish the tank and keep the water in pristine conditions then research Electric Blue Rams or look at Apistos. Both are dwarf Cichlids. Not compatible with each other. So you could only pic one.

Puffers need their own tank, fin nippers and will torment other fish.

Most Freshwater "sharks" get too big and/or too aggressive.

Cory cats are awesome !

But Cories and dwarf Cichlids appreciate planted tanks. Read up, it's not hard to do and looks great. Just pick easy low light plants like Crypts and Java Ferns to start. Ludwigia repens is an easy stem plant.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom