New upgrade tank up and running!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carole2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,
At last - I did the swap on Sunday. Took longer than I thought - didn't get to bed till nearly 2.00am!
Everything seems good, just a bit of colour in the water, I think it's off the new driftwood. I did soak it for 2 days before putting it in though. Is this the case, do you think? Anyway, it looks great - I've posted some photos.
My Betta is lording it up, and the loaches and ottos are busy exploring all the little nooks and crannies, and having a whale of a time! (excuse the pun!)

Depends on how large the driftwood is, type of wood, etc. My buddy bought a piece from a local lfs and it has been leeching for over a year after soaking for 2 weeks and having boiling water over it. The piece is very large and dense though.

edit: if the water is becoming "tea" colored, then it is probably the dw.

Yes, the water is tea coloured. So it may go on for some time then. Did you look at my photos? You can see the wood in some of them. Don't know what kind it is, but it's a lovely two tone. A mixture of dark and light wood. Could check with the shop I got it, Maidenhead Aquatics. (that's in Wales).
It won't harm the fish will it?

Yes, the water is tea coloured. So it may go on for some time then. Did you look at my photos? You can see the wood in some of them. Don't know what kind it is, but it's a lovely two tone. A mixture of dark and light wood. Could check with the shop I got it, Maidenhead Aquatics. (that's in Wales).
It won't harm the fish will it?

If anything the darkening of the water will make the fish happier as it's more natural to them.

Other than that the only real dangers of driftwood I've discovered are evil snail stowaways and that if the driftwood begins to rot it will lower your PH.

Your right - the fish seem very happy. I've got a couple of assassin snails in there. Got them when I started getting overrun with ordinary little snails that came in on plants from the aquatic shop - they soon sorted that problem out!

Back
Top Bottom