Newbie help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexdc12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys have read some interesting stuff on here. Here is my situation. Got a 68 litre tank fro tropical fish. Temp is 27c. Had it setup 3 days and put some mollies in it they all died one by one over 2/3 days. Bought an api master test kit. Ammonia was 0.25 nitrite was 0.25 nitrate was 40ppm Ph was 8.2. Guessing ph was problem as found out mollies like 7.4ish. Used ph down and not gone down. Gone to maybe 8.0. Had an iced marble rock in there which I have now taken out in case that was causing the ph issues and still the same. Also been using fresh start following instructions. Today the tank has gone all cloudy and everything inside looks dusty, I did a 20% water change 2 days ago. What am I doing wrong?!?! Thanks in advance.
Also tested my tap water after 24 hours of it being in a cup and the ph didn't register on either oh scale? It was a light blue colour?

Also got 3plants in there. Just done all tests ph is 8.2 nitrate is 40ppm nitrite is 0.25 ammonia is 0

Did you cycle the tank? If not, that's probably why they died. I wouldn't use pH down as it
wears off and the pH fluctuation is much more harmful than a high but steady one.

Is the tank a whitish cloudiness? If so, its probably a bacteria bloom which is fine and will clear up.

This is for my own benefit, but did the dusty looking coating look like a whitish film? I'm getting that on my mopani wood and I don't know what it is.

Lastly, if you want to naturally lower the pH, get some driftwood or mopani wood as the tannins released from it lower pH.

Got some mopani wood already too. Yea it looks whiteish. But I touched some of the dusty looking stuff and it's defo algae I'd say.

How long will it be like that for? Shall I do a water change or not?

One I think you need to make sure the tank cycles fully, and two the ph in your tap may be extremely high, like off the charts. But I would expect the mollies either died from a non cycled tank or shock in the changes in water quality. If you are unable to get the ph down you may want to try drip/incrementally introducing the fish to the new tank water.

Alexdc12 said:
How will I know when it's cycled fully?

You need to have an API master test kit. When ammonia and nitrite read 0ppm and the nitrAte reads 0-20ppm that's when you've cycled.

Still no change really. Plants are dying and Found some stuff that looked wallpaper paste stuck to the suckers that hold the heater. What's that.?

Alexdc12 said:
Still no change really. Plants are dying and Found some stuff that looked wallpaper paste stuck to the suckers that hold the heater. What's that.?

How long have you had your tank running? My suggestion is water changes more frequently. I have 2 tanks that have been fish in cycling for about a month & I have been doing 50% water changes at least every other day. Now that you have gone fish less you'll need to do the steps required for a fish less cycle which means you'll need to up the ammonia & watch for when it drops & see how long it takes to drop. Once it drops to zero within 24hrs & does that more than once plus your nitrItes are zero & nitrAtes are in normal range you'll be cycled.

Yes bought some safe water additive yesterday to try to get levels down. Had to get rid of 1 plant but another is almost dissintergrating. Levels are pretty much the Sam today. Ammonia and nitrite on .75/1 ppm and nitrate 40ppm

Your ammonia should be less then .25
Your nitrite should be 0
And your nitrate should be 5-20
If it is anything more then this do a water change with dechlorinated, temp matched water.
As for your ph, don't worry about it. Stable is more important then low. I keep a variety of tropicals including Molly and my ph is consistently above 8, usually closer to 8.5. The only thing I put in my water is prime. The sludge like crap is most likely from the bottle stuff you have added. When adding new fish, you have to be patient. It can take a while to properly acclimate them.

Thanks. What sort of pressure should I have my pump on? It's for up to a 90l tank? Does it matter what sort of pressure it's on?

Done a 50-60% water change and 2 hours later levels are much the same. Maybe dropped 1 shade on ammonia and nitrite. Added tapsafe and removed dying plant? Shouldnt levels drop considerably more with that sort of change?

Back
Top Bottom