Newbie Here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaunakadub

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys and gals,

My name is Shaun and i'm new to the forums. I've been on a few other forums about aquariums, but the people on those ones don't seem half as nice and helpful to newbies as you guys do.

Anywhoo, I have a 10gallon tank that is almost fully cycled, and I am just about to add 4 zebra danios and 2 albino catfish!

well congrats. what are you current parameters???? i would add a few fish at a time.

Welcome. Im sorry for the registration problems but very glad we got them situated for you.

So far so good, amonia is reading 0, nitrites are reading 0. I dont have a nitrate or a pH test kit yet, but the pH test kit will be coming either tonight or tommrow.

I cycled the tank for about 1 month with 2 glowlight tetras, unfortunatly 1 of the glowlights passed away this morning. I introduced the zebra's into the tank with the 1 glowlight, and now the glowlight thinks he is a zebra danio. Its funny to see a school of 4 zebras, with one glowlight tetra happy as could be in the middle of them.

Aye, i finally remembered what I wanted to ask in here earlier.

Is there a such thing as "to much air" or "to much current"?

I have a very nice pump connected to an air stone that spews a large amount of bubbles, I just wanted to make sure it isn't possibly to have to many bubbles.

Also, the filter causes a decent current, will this tire the fish out?

you can't have to much air but depending on the fish you could have to much current. Luckily your choice is perfect. Zebra danios and cory cats LOVE current and bubbles. However if you were to get something like a betta fish.. they don't like currents at all.

If you have a filter that creates a good amount of surface agitation you don't have to have the air pump and bubbles.. unless you just like the bubbles :D

Welcome to AA!!! With the fish you have the current will be just fine. If you like the bubbles keep them. After all it is your tank.

Awesome! I'm keeping the bubbles then :p

So the albino catfish is also called a cory eh? Learn new things every day! I have a rock in the tank that is colored almost exactly like they are, and they seem to have a special liking for it, maybe camoflauge?

Also with the glowlite, anyone else ever experience something like that? His buddy died this morning, and now he stays with the school of zebras, very intresting to me.

Another quick question, can anyone explain how the Python gravel cleaner works? I'm really intrested in getting one but im not sure how it works yet.

python=awesomeness

you just hook it up to your faucet and do your gravel vac and refill the tank all without the use of buckets!!! Totally worth it.

AshleyNicole said:
python=awesomeness

you just hook it up to your faucet and do your gravel vac and refill the tank all without the use of buckets!!! Totally worth it.

Yea I did a lot of searching through the forums on topics about the Python. Only saw good things, BUT....

I decided to go with just a basic vacuum/siphon product for 3 reasons:
1.) Only cost 4$'s at the LPS
2.) I kind of like doing dirty work
3.) Its only a 10gallon tank, but trust me... If I had anything bigger then a 20gallon tank, the Python would most likely be my first thing for the tank.

EDIT: BTW thank you for all the forum welcomes!

if the python fills the tank directly from the faucet, when do you add in something to remove the chlorine/chloromine? Is it safe to go fill the tank from the faucet and then add the Aquasafe or whatever to the tank? Is that few minutes while it's filling safe for the fish that are in the tank?

shaunakadub, I agree with you about the python. I have a 55, and it is the best thing in the world for doing water changes. I cannot recommend it highly enough. However, since you have a 10 gallon, you really don't need one. If I were in your shoes, I would have just saved the money as well. But anything larger, and I would highly recommend getting one.

StngStr said:
if the python fills the tank directly from the faucet, when do you add in something to remove the chlorine/chloromine? Is it safe to go fill the tank from the faucet and then add the Aquasafe or whatever to the tank? Is that few minutes while it's filling safe for the fish that are in the tank?

Yes, it is fine. The typical method is to add the dechlorinator directly to the tank water as it is filling. This is perfectly fine for the fish. I also know that some people add the dechlorinator just after filling the tank. I am skeptical of doing so myself, but those that do so regularly have posted that they haven't had any problems. There are lots of good threads on the subject of pythons in the freshwater general section. You might try doing a search, or just browsing back through the pages. Lots of good information.

u can add the dechlor before, during, or after refilling the tank

***prime***

Back
Top Bottom