Odd things happening in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxw47

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So first off. I woke up yesterday morning to three dead cherry shrimp. The first thing I did was test my water parameters, as I hadn't in a while. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and about 5 nitrate. PH was around 7.3 as usual. GH was 11, it's normally 12 but I don't think that's a big deal. KH is at 3 like usual. This tank uses reconstituted RO so the KH is normally low. The only thing I did different was add a small hikari bottom feeder wafer thing about an hour before lights out. The colony had always done fine eating leftover food and whatever else there was to eat, but because they were growing in numbers I thought to add one of these.

Also, I've been noticing these little tiny bug things in the tank. They are about half as big as a grain of sand and just scoot around the bottom. They'll occasionally swim a few inches off the bottom. For the most part I see them in the left front corner of the tank, or at least that's where I see them the most.

In case it helps answer the questions, the tank is ten gallons with lots of plants. The stock is just 3 adult endless and a few fry. Oh and red cherry shrimp, probably around 40. I do weekly 50% water changes and the parameters are listed above. If you need anything else just let me know, thanks.

Check out pic's of seed shrimp and maybe copepods and see if that is what you have. Not sure if they would affect shrimp but it would be nice to know what you have. Or try getting a picture of them. If the rest of the colony looks good and healthy I'm not sure I'd be over worried unless it happens again.

I think they are seed shrimp. From what I've read they are harmless and feed on decaying plants and other things on the bottom. Is this true? Of so I don't really mind them. Plus I think they might be a good food source for the young endless in the tank.

The cherry shrimp colony looks healthy to me. I still see that nice bold red color in many of them.

Personally I've never gotten seed shrimp in any of my tanks so I'm not a good source of information on them.

Back
Top Bottom