Okay, so my light just shocked the heck out of me...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would have been in the corner crying, but me and electric don't like each other anymore :whistle:

I assume everyone does, but is everything plugged into a
GFCI outlet? If so, I would think it should have tripped.....

Long story short, I chose my name because I took a nasty shock years ago(grounded a 60 amp circuit for about 90-120 seconds..unable to let go). Luckily people in the building were around to shut the electrical service off or I'd be extra crispy and 6ft under. It did induce a heart attack/s(at 27) and roasted the nerve that makes your thumb bend :ermm:. I was not even working on anything electrical :blink: Grabbed a handle for a metal roof hatch...Long set of circumstance(and outright stupidity) made it ungrounded and live(a simple ground wire would have tripped breaker :banghead:).

Only takes milliamps to kill you. Once you get over 10 milliamps, you risk not being able to let go....Trust me, it's a scary feeling when you know you're being cooked internally, but can't do a thing to help yourself(can't scream either :nono:). If no one is around, you're dead. Oh and your hair turns purple, or at least mine did where it exited my head :lol: Even the detective laughed when he came to hospital.

Does everyone use GFCI outlets for their fish tanks?

Wow man, I'm glad you're still with us. I'm not on a GFI outlet, but I'm sure I can easily install one. It's just 3 things (filter, heater, lights) plugged into a surge protector.

Okay, please remember I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff.

Here's a couple pics of what I see. Now, in one of the pics it almost looks like some sort of stickyness on the right side between the metal and plastic...but upon closer inspection it looks more like an adhesive they used to hold things together...there's no wires under there.

Now there is the wires that contact the metal at all 4 points where it connects to where the lights are attached, is that normal? It doesn't look like anything has melted...but it's odd they have wires laying on metal.

Attachments

• tank lighting 001.jpg
    tank lighting 001.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 61
  • tank lighting 004.jpg
    tank lighting 004.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 57
  • tank lighting 006.jpg
    tank lighting 006.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 64
jetajockey said:
Just a heads up, HD/Lowes has a GFCI outlet that plugs into the wall over your existing outlet, I think it was less than $15.

Cool, I'm heading there tonight anyway...thanks. The less time I spend playing with wires...the higher my life expectancy probably is, lol.

HUKIT said:
I don't see anything with those pictures, do you have a multimeter to check voltage and ground?

Yeah right, lol. My garage and basement look like it belongs to an old lady. My version of being handy is normally picking up the phone and calling someone who knows what the heck they're doing.

HUKIT said:
I don't see anything with those pictures, do you have a multimeter to check voltage and ground?

Yeah right, lol. My garage and basement look like it belongs to an old lady. My version of being handy is normally picking up the phone and calling someone who knows what the heck they're doing.

Last edited:
Yeah right, lol. My garage and basement look like it belongs to an old lady. My version of being handy is normally picking up the phone and calling someone who knows what the heck they're doing. :)

You should buy some that way you'll have the illusion of handyness...works great with the ladies! My wife is laughing at me as I'm typing.:lol:

Sorry for the double post...iPad did something crazy.

So everything looks good to go?

Any other ideas? Back to the heater?

Without the proper tools to test the wiring with current running through I would advise you to have a qualified electrician inspect the fixture.

Last edited:
Okay, please remember I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff.

Here's a couple pics of what I see. Now, in one of the pics it almost looks like some sort of stickyness on the right side between the metal and plastic...but upon closer inspection it looks more like an adhesive they used to hold things together...there's no wires under there.

Now there is the wires that contact the metal at all 4 points where it connects to where the lights are attached, is that normal? It doesn't look like anything has melted...but it's odd they have wires laying on metal.

I don't like wires going through bare metal, without a grommet of some sort. its about 10 cents for the rubber grommets. Those pictures somewhat illustrate how I got zapped, but on a smaller scale...

If there were a constant vibration, or someone yanked on that blue wire really hard, it could scrape off insulation(not likely, but you never know). Actually if you scale it up(a lot :lol:), it's a similar scenario that got me...

In short, while moving/lifting a roof hatch, roofers yanked on an electrical conduit(clamped to hatch) that in turn broke at a fitting. They continued to pull, which scraped the insulation off the wire inside the conduit(power turned off to building at that time). They then reinstalled, but never grounded roof hatch and turned power back on. No ground=no breaker tripped, but one **** of an invisible wake up call to whoever touched it first....Me :blink: Unfortunately without a GFCI outlet, your body doesn't draw enough to trip a breaker normally(unless you are covered in sweat or wet from rain I suppose), but plenty to mess up your day:blink: That's why kitchens and baths all have them. Water + electric = dirt nap.

IMO, if there is water involved, a GFCI outlet is a MUST(plus always having rubber soles when putting hand in tank or using electrical appliances)...There shouldn't be one aquarium running without it. It's a very cheap way to prevent that one in a million chance of being :fish2: food.

Sorry, this topic got me going.. :banghead: I just would never want to have anyone experience that method of death....Not a fun way to go. I'd rather jump out of a plane knowingly without a chute (y)

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
Without the proper tools to test the wiring with current running through I would advice you to have a qualified electrician inspect the fixture.

That's my specialty ;-). Haha!

Anyway, I'm not very smart. I reinstalled everything and had my hand back in there...and completely forgot about the "shocking" experience from earlier today. Surprisingly, it didn't happen again. In fact, against my better judgement I tried to replicate it (like I said, I'm an idiot). I'm wondering if it was just something touching something else that it shouldn't have been, and just by wiggling all the wires when I was in there temporarily fixed the problem. I did do a bit of shoving to see if I could push the wires through so they weren't resting on the metal...but I have no idea if that was the cause.

I'll probably dig up the paperwork and see if I can find the receipt and warranty info.

If you guys don't see me on the site for a while...shoot a PM and I'm sure my wife can inform you of my funeral arrangements and where to send flowers :)

Thanks for all your help fellas.

* And I'll pick up the GFI outlet jeta recommended when I'm out tonight. Thanks for the advice.

That's my specialty ;-). Haha!

Anyway, I'm not very smart. I reinstalled everything and had my hand back in there...and completely forgot about the "shocking" experience from earlier today. Surprisingly, it didn't happen again. In fact, against my better judgement I tried to replicate it (like I said, I'm an idiot). I'm wondering if it was just something touching something else that it shouldn't have been, and just by wiggling all the wires when I was in there temporarily fixed the problem. I did do a bit of shoving to see if I could push the wires through so they weren't resting on the metal...but I have no idea if that was the cause.

I'll probably dig up the paperwork and see if I can find the receipt and warranty info.

If you guys don't see me on the site for a while...shoot a PM and I'm sure my wife can inform you of my funeral arrangements and where to send flowers :)

Thanks for all your help fellas.

* And I'll pick up the GFI outlet jeta recommended when I'm out tonight. Thanks for the advice.

Oh geez Eco that's not even funny! Um be careful please. Maybe you should find someone a bit more handy to look at it :) I'm looking into those outlets as well, since I've had one or two issues with my surge protector tripping and my filters going off, not sure why. Some outlets in my apartment have GFCI outlets (the ones in the kitchen and one in the bathroom) but not the others. I think investing in one for the tank's outlet is a good idea.

And, be careful (thought I'd say it twice) :)

GFCIs are good but sensitive. That's the point to interrupt service when it shorts. I met people who have tried them behind their fridge and when the freezer kicked on it would trip the GFCI. Not saying not to get one but monitor it for a while before any vacations.

Back
Top Bottom