Okay, so my light just shocked the heck out of me...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright, I had my hand deep in the tank when my elbow hit the underside casing of my lighting and...ZAP!!!

Nothing life threatening, but definitely a nice little shock. Is this in any way normal? Probably a definitive no, right?

The heater, canister filter and lighting are all plugged into a normal surge protector, and that is obviously plugged into a single outlet. There is not a GFI switch on that particular outlet.

Other than potential loss of my life, lol, is there fire hazard? Electrical current in the tank detrimental to the fish? Most likely a hardware problem or a problem with the actual outlet in the house?

Last edited:
A short shouldn't happen. Did the surge protector trip? You touched the light and then it shocked you? Was your elbow wet or did you just touch the fixture with your dry elbow? I'm assuming the fixture is metal?

somethingsfishy said:
A short shouldn't happen. Did the surge protector trip? You touched the light and then it shocked you? Was your elbow wet or did you just touch the fixture with your dry elbow? I'm assuming the fixture is metal?

Nothing tripped, there wasn't a shock until my elbow hit the light (not sure if it was wet or dry...probably a bit wet). I'm not certain of the material, it kind of feels like painted aluminum, but I have no idea.

HUKIT said:
Should be a fairly simple wiring issue, but certainly something that should be addressed now.

Wiring issue as in behind the outlet? Sorry, my handiness basically ends with installing lights and ceiling fans when it comes to anything electrical, lol.

I would lean towards a short in the fixture, maybe a wire got hot and the plastic sheathing melted and is grounding on the fixture internally.

HUKIT said:
I would lean towards a short in the fixture, maybe a wire got hot and the plastic sheathing melted and is grounding on the fixture internally.

Any way to know? Try to open it up and look for physical signs of damage?

HUKIT said:
That's where I would start. I sell guns and I'm certainly not a electrican but it should be very straightforward.

Your job sounds more fun than an electrician anyway, lol. I'll take it apart and see if there's anything obvious. Hopefully I can put it back together or the fish and plants might be living in the dark for a few days, lol.

Occasionally, depending on the fixture and what is exposed you can get electrical creep from the light if there is mineral deposits across the fixture. As far as harming the fish goes, I have twice dropped a lit 2 ft florescent fixture into a tank, and the fish were fine as was the light which stayed on while submerged. Freshwater is a good insulator.

There are some speculation that stray electrical current is one of the causes for HITH/HLLE but that's the only health issue I've ever heard.

HUKIT said:
There are some speculation that stray electrical current is one of the causes for HITH/HLLE but that's the only health issue I've ever heard.

But I assume the only time the current would enter the tank is when my arm is the conduit which is putting it into the water? The canister filter obviously has plastic intake and outtakes, and the heater is the only other object in the tank. The fixture is mounted above the tank on the plastic stilts. I'll get my lazy butt around to taking it apart in a minute.

Assuming I do see an exposed wire, is there a home repair as simple as electrical tape, or is this a sign of a defective fixture which would need to be replaced?

I've seen some info on other sites that the heaters are often the problem...but I didn't contact the heater (and a bit afraid to try it tbh).

*Sorry, I know you're not an electrician, lol. But if I don't ask...there will never be an answer :)

Last edited:
Assuming I do see an exposed wire, is there a home repair as simple as electrical tape, or is this a sign of a defective fixture which would need to be replaced? .

I would replace and re-solder a new wire then place heat shrink tubing wrap around that area rather than electrical tape.

After further review (by which I mean staring at it with a confused look on my face), I'm not sure taking it apart is a viable option. I'd probably end up with a broken light which still shocks me :). It might be time to go receipt and warranty information hunting instead.

Just out of curiosity in case I'm missing some basic law of science...if it was the heater, would I feel the shock simply by putting my hand in the water? Would touching the light in any way make me finally feel the shock, or does the way it happened pretty much isolate the light as the problem.

Yea lighting is very simple bs frayed wire is my guess. You may be able to cut the fray out and have enough to just remake the connection. I'm sure you know to unplug the fixture first. I have the boring job of electrician. :)

The more I think about it I would check the heater as well, maybe by touching the light your body just completed the circuit.

I built up the courage to submerge my hand and grab the heater with the light unplugged...no shock. I guess that isolates the light as the problem?

Now I've got to build up the courage to take the fixture apart. If I was forced to make my living being a handy man...I'd starve to death, lol.

While I've got the light off I'm gonna do some plant trimming and then mess with the light. I'll update in a bit.

I really appreciate the help from you guys on this.

After further review (by which I mean staring at it with a confused look on my face), I'm not sure taking it apart is a viable option. I'd probably end up with a broken light which still shocks me :). It might be time to go receipt and warranty information hunting instead.

Just out of curiosity in case I'm missing some basic law of science...if it was the heater, would I feel the shock simply by putting my hand in the water? Would touching the light in any way make me finally feel the shock, or does the way it happened pretty much isolate the light as the problem.
it could be the heater,i suggest you check that to
by touching the light you may of just completed the circuit

edit:should of read the rest of the thread before i posted

I would have been in the corner crying, but me and electric don't like each other anymore :whistle:

I assume everyone does, but is everything plugged into a
GFCI outlet? If so, I would think it should have tripped.....

Long story short, I chose my name because I took a nasty shock years ago(grounded a 60 amp circuit for about 90-120 seconds..unable to let go). Luckily people in the building were around to shut the electrical service off or I'd be extra crispy and 6ft under. It did induce a heart attack/s(at 27) and roasted the nerve that makes your thumb bend :ermm:. I was not even working on anything electrical :blink: Grabbed a handle for a metal roof hatch...Long set of circumstance(and outright stupidity) made it ungrounded and live(a simple ground wire would have tripped breaker :banghead:).

Only takes milliamps to kill you. Once you get over 10 milliamps, you risk not being able to let go....Trust me, it's a scary feeling when you know you're being cooked internally, but can't do a thing to help yourself(can't scream either :nono:). If no one is around, you're dead. Oh and your hair turns purple, or at least mine did where it exited my head :lol: Even the detective laughed when he came to hospital.

Does everyone use GFCI outlets for their fish tanks?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom