Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The tank is large enough for 3 oscars. But, as with people, sometimes 3 can be a crowd. Your fish may live peacefully together for years. Or, 2 may form a pair and harass the 3rd. Just keep an eye on them, watch for any aggression, and if it becomes a problem, be prepared to rehome the "odd fish out."
How many Pictus catfish do you have in the tank? Pictus prefer to be in small groups, so if you have only the one, you may want to think about picking up 3 more or so.

I have one just got it yesterday I did not know that thank you for the info much appreciated when I got him from the store he seems very high strung darting back and fourth is that normal for these fish?

The oreange oscar seems to pick on the other two but the oreange and yellow one are paired off but they were the fist ones in the tank so I'm hoping they all start getting along buy that oreange one is a bully it looks like....

Pictus can be active fish sometimes, but aren't normally "high strung." Get him some friends and he'll calm down.
Don't get in too much of a hurry to rehome your oscar. If the aggression is mild, and all fish are able to eat without too much harassment, it may only be fishy politics. If so, there shouldn't be any damage done to either fish. Oscars are big, boisterous fish and need to push their weight around sometimes. Just keep an eye on them in case it ever turns into real aggression. If so, one may need to be rehomed.

I came home from work today and there all swimming around together so that's a plus! But the tiger is not eating yet maybe just new still a new home for him it is only the second day...

Try some frozen krill, or raw shrimp, peeled and cut into small pieces. Usually will help finicky oscars find their appetites quickly.

Is this a good reading for a 3 1/2 week old tank for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

Those levels are a little high if there are fish in the tank. I personally would not let the ammonia or nitrite go above 0.25. (Not trying to tell you what to do)

I did do a second test it read 7.8 I did not shake it as well as the other ones thank you for the info and plz ur not telling me what to do i appreciate the advise

The pH isn't troubling at all, the Ammonia and Nitrite is the main issue at hand. From the readings I saw in your first picture it seems to indicate a dangerous level of those toxins for your fish.

I would recommend a 50-75% water change, but hopefully someone else will chime in.

If you are dosing the tank with prime it could protect the fish for a time. A regular dose of Prime should probably make it safe for a time, but I'm not sure how long it lasts.

The way that I have cycled tanks with fish is by testing the ammonia and nitrite daily. If either reads over 0.25 I do water changes until it reads 0.25 or less.

Again, I hope some other people chime in. I really like your oscars by the way, I've always wanted one but my girlfriend doesn't like them. :(

1491013996028.jpg I don't think the pic went through the first time ... but here's my 2nd readings

Back
Top Bottom