Otos :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am going to try the light over the bowl as well as the bowl outside...The water in the bowl outside turned really brown...Does that mean anything? As much as I don't want to admit I might lose some of them I know I probably will sadly :/

Maybe not though! I've had my three for a year or so and haven't lost one. :)

The water turned brown but their wasn't anything on the stones?

Yeah the rocks felt kind of slimy but the water was really brown looking but no algae that I could see atleast :/ I had a clear glass vase out there for a few days buttt my dogs decided they did not want it out there and broke it lol so I had to start over

Yeah I just checked on it again and the water is just really gross looking and nothing on the rocks ughh am I the only person who CAN'T grow algae?! lol I am gunna set up a little clamp light over a bowl of rocks tonight and see if I can't get anywhere with that

lol If the rocks are slimy they should dig it. They love gross filmy stuff. You're just getting green water. Normal for that much direct sun. Just change the water out.

Ok I will change the water out shortly. I am also going to try the light thing like you mentioned. I have a 120 watt bulb I believe. Would that work?

Most clip-on lamps won't take wattage that high...I don't think. I haven't used incandescent bulbs in a while but I think 60 watts is the max most of them will take. Uh, that should work, I think. I'm not sure. I only use CFL's.

Ok I have a lamp type of thing that I had for a snake and it has a 120 watt bulb in it right now I dunno what kind or anything and the other has a 25 watt bulb in it...which would be better? How long does it usually take to get some algae growing?

Oops I checked and apparently its a 160 watt light bulb? I guess we will see how that goes lol I made my fiance rig the light up last night at 3am he wasnt a happy man hehe :)

brunettebaby4571 said:
Yikes sorry one more post...Will otos eat fry?

No otos will not eat fry. I know of many many people that keep them in their shrimp tanks (myself included) and they will not harm any baby shrimplets. I've seen my otos share an algea wafer with about 10 shrimp lol

Do you ever sleep? lol Ok well whatever type of bulb it is, give it a shot and watch and wait. It sounds like you're gonna have a nice amount of algae and bio-film in the tank for them. Hopefully they will take to some other supplements as well. Try a high quality algae wafer and veggies regularly and just remove it if they don't eat it and keep trying. I had mine for a while before they started eating at the veggies I offer. Between the well established tank, the supplements, and growing extra algae for them, I think you're pretty well prepared. Do you know how many you plan to pick up? I hope your tank is about 15 gals or more...that's really best for them so you can stock atleast 3 but keep it to 1 per 5 gals. :)

I agree they shouldn't bother fry. Maybe the tiniest the fry...after all they are wild caught so this may be familiar to them, but I'm just not sure since they seem to be strictly vegetarian. But I have kept them with fish about the size of 1 week old guppy fry w/o any issues.

Pretty soon I hope to have an algae farm in my bedroom and backporch!! lmao and I was told I could comfortably fit around 6-7 but I think for starts Ill get maybe 4-5 does that sound like a good number? I have a 40 gallon tank also. 3 mollies and two platys (and some fry) and tons of snails!! :) So do you think 4 or 5 would be a good number? And ps no sleep for this girl! :) I decided to do some tank maintenance before the otos come so I don't disturb them too much when they get here :)

What would be a good wafer? I looked online at some and was reading the ingredients and most of them had meaty products as the main ingredient...So what would you suggest as far as that goes? And what about veggies other than zucchini? I appreciate all your help this far you have been great!!!!

brunettebaby4571 said:
What would be a good wafer? I looked online at some and was reading the ingredients and most of them had meaty products as the main ingredient...So what would you suggest as far as that goes? And what about veggies other than zucchini? I appreciate all your help this far you have been great!!!!

My otos love the Hikari Algea Wafers, another GREAT algea wafer is the one by NLS (new life spectrum) I don't have too much experience with vegetables, so hopefully someone else will chime in there!

Ok I am going to go to petco here soon I have to return a heater I bought it doesnt seem to wanna go higher than 79-80 grrrr so while I am up there I am going to check out some algae wafers and cry a little when I see the otos and cant get them lol...on an unrelated note does anyone know why the heater doesnt want to get any warmer than 79-80? I know my water doesnt need to be above that but if I ever need it to be warmer I would like to know that it will be able to reach higher temps :/ I am hoping it is just a faulty heater as everyone recommended it (aqueon pro) Thank you guys sorry if thats too off topic I just thought I would ask :)

brunettebaby4571 said:
Ok I am going to go to petco here soon I have to return a heater I bought it doesnt seem to wanna go higher than 79-80 grrrr so while I am up there I am going to check out some algae wafers and cry a little when I see the otos and cant get them lol...on an unrelated note does anyone know why the heater doesnt want to get any warmer than 79-80? I know my water doesnt need to be above that but if I ever need it to be warmer I would like to know that it will be able to reach higher temps :/ I am hoping it is just a faulty heater as everyone recommended it (aqueon pro) Thank you guys sorry if thats too off topic I just thought I would ask :)

Why can't you get the oto's? Seems to me your pretty prepared! Yeah, chances are it is faulty, sorry:(

Hmm, tons of snails? What kind? I'm guessing pond and/or ramshorn. Those guys are pretty effecient algae eaters. You might want to thin the heard on those a little. I think 4-5 otos sounds great.

HBH spirulina wafers are the best. It's the only commercial brand I know of with the first ingredient being the algae/veggie matter. OSI spirulina wafers are good too.

I mainly just feed zucchini and shelled peas (from frozen). Cucumber is popular as well, but I think the zukes are more nutrient rich. I'm not a big fan of lettuce, any uneaten parts get super gross overnight in the water, but it's a really commonly fed veg.

How many watts is the heater?

Back
Top Bottom