otos not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How do I get my otos to notice zucchini I put in the tank? They don't nothing but stay on the glass and worried they may not be getting enough to eat.

If they have round bellies, they're getting enough to eat.

Otos are extremely picky eaters. Sometimes, they will starve to death if there's not enough natural algae in the tank for them. That's why you have to be careful how many you have in a tank, so the food supply does not run out.

Mine happily eat algae wafers but I've actually never tried zucchini with them. Did you blanch it first?

Mine won't eat zucchini either, nor could I get them to eat cucumber, lettuce, or seaweed. I'm not sure what they're eating but they seem to be hanging in there.

I only have two and their bellies aren't so round like they used to be. I blanched it till where it was soft for them to eat through but they ignore everything I give em.

Have you tried having rocks or stones in the tank
When I put two new stones in the tank they get algae quickly and I frequently see my ottos on them

Here's a pic,don't know if you can tell from the reflection that it's belly isn't round.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120411_125147.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120411_125147.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 57
The only algae I have is green hair algae is what it looks like. I've also tried algae wafers, blanched carrots, and green beans.

LyndaB said:
They will only eat other foods if there is NO algae in the tank to speak of.

Idk what algae they specifically eat.

They eat diatoms mostly, that brownish discoloration you get on your tank walls and decor.

I cannot tell from the pic about the belly. It's best to check when they root themselves to the tank walls. That would be the best time to snap a photo.

Just be sure you never scrub diatoms in the tank.

Only algae I have is the slimy green one. I had a lil diatoms on my anubias plant but they left it afterwards.

I would definitely supplement them with algae wafers then. Just toss part of one in and leave it overnight. See what happens.

LyndaB said:
I would definitely supplement them with algae wafers then. Just toss part of one in and leave it overnight. See what happens.

Already tried that, they ignore it also. I just tried to slowly steadily put the zucchini in front, but he just ignored it and swam away. Poop. Should I try turning off the lights? Heard they eat more when they're off.

Don't interrupt the normal lighting schedule. Just put that food in before you turn the lights off for the night.

LyndaB said:
Don't interrupt the normal lighting schedule. Just put that food in before you turn the lights off for the night.

You're right. Hmmm I'm just gonna leave the zucchini in there till next morning. That okay? Unless it starts to look messy then I'll take it out.

LyndaB said:
I leave cucumbers in for about 24 hours. I'm sure your zucchini will be fine.

Thanks..oh and another thing, I stuck a plant weight half in to hold it down, is that okay?

Yes!!! I found one on it!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120411_140318.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120411_140318.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom