Otto Feeding habits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ottos are pretty picky as far as what types of algae they will eat. They tend to like the stuff other algae eating fish will not touch like the forementioned Diatoms(Brown Algae) and that pain in the rear Fuzz Algae that likes to grow on your plants.

Mine eat the fuzz and the diatoms but they won't eat the hard stuck-on green stuff.

The best algae eater I ever found was the Farlowella Acus. I've never seen one little guy suck in so much and so many types of the stuff. However, if you are not an experienced catfish keeper, this guy is not for you. They are incredibly sensitive fish.

I was just thinking about picking up a 'rubber nose'/'bulldog' pleco. They get up to 4-5 inches and eat algae like no tomorrow. My wife has one and her tank was clean as a whistle over night.

EDIT:

Well just lost my otto tonight. He was itty bitty. Stomach was really tiny and slender so im sure he didn't get enough to eat. And I tried everything - cucumbers, algae wafers, peas - guess it wasn't enough. Sigh.. I just bought some seaweed sheets this afternoon to see if he would like them. Water parameters are in check, and the barbs didn't touch him - he looked fine other then a small stomach compared to what it looked like a couple days ago.

Back
Top Bottom