panda corys dieing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdude25

Aquarium Advice Freak
In my 75 I had 12 panda corydoras, now a few months later, I have 6. It wasn't all at once, only one cory every 2-3 weeks. Before they die they have no previous signs of illness.

I think they're being attacked. I think it may be my B. Rams or my angelfishes. Sometimes the dead ones have nipped fins, and their eyeballs are gone. This morning I found a cory dead, with no fins, and no eyes. I included a pic so you can see what happened:

ForumRunner_20120609_135904.jpg

I will test my water tonight.
Please help!

-Fishdude25

No advice, but I'm sorry for your loss. I just recently lost one of my corys so I understand how difficult it is, expecially when you can't find a cause/prevention.

It's quite upsetting that I can't find any reasons as to why this is happening. I think it may be the angels. Perhaps I should larger corys, like bronze corys instead of panda? I don't know, maybe its something with my water, I will test tonight.

Panda cories can be a bit touchy, moreso that other cory species IME. Once a fish dies, other fish tend to start eating it, which would explain the fins and missing eyes (eyes are usually one of the first to go).

How long has the tank been set up? What temperature is it at. Is a B. Ram a Blue Ram or Bolivian Ram?

The tank has been set up for 9 months. I keep the tank at 78 degrees Fahrenheit. The cory deaths started about three months ago. Total stocking is:
17 cardinal tetras,
(Was 12, now 6) panda corys,
10 harlequin rasboras,
6 platys,
6 ottos,
2 angelfish,
And 2 bolivian rams.

Just seconding what the others are saying, unfortunately panda cories are notoriously delicate, if your nitrate has crept up that could well be the cause.

So I tested my eater with my API liquid test kit. Results were ammo: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrate: 0(?)
I think that i didn't shake the nitrate tube/bottle long enough. Just how long are you supposed to shake it?

In that case they could of been attacked and my first suspicion would be the angelfish . Maybe not I could be wrong

Shake and bang BOTH nitrate bottles for 30 seconds, then the test tube vigorously for a full minute.

Are they getting enough food? It can be difficult to get food down to them with larger more greedy fish in the tank. Also they prefer cooler waters so I'm not sure if 78 degrees would be an issue but just something to consider.

Ok, I will do another nitrate test tonight.
I feed NLS small fish formula, and I try to get it to the corys, but I'm not sure if their getting enough. Perhaps I should get algae wafers for them? What's a good brand of algae wafer?
Thanks!
-Fishdude25

I have Hikari algae and sinking wafers. My Panda's wont really eat them until they soften up, so it's a good idea to soak them in tank water for 10-15 minutes and then drop them in after lights out. They'll eat NLS sinking pellets too after they soften up.

fishdude25 said:
Ok, I will do another nitrate test tonight.
I feed NLS small fish formula, and I try to get it to the corys, but I'm not sure if their getting enough. Perhaps I should get algae wafers for them? What's a good brand of algae wafer?
Thanks!
-Fishdude25

A. Pandas are cool water Corys. Planet catfish lists them at 71-77f.

B. They should be fed meat based foods, not Algae wafers. They don't eat plants in the wild.
Frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp ( target feed with a turkey baster or feed after lights out)
Sinking Catfish wafers or Shrimp pellets.
Live Blackworms or brine shrimp

They get very little nutrition from algae wafers.

C. Make sure they have hiding places. Caves or lots of live plants.

Ok. Which brand of sinking catfish wafer/shrimp pellets would you recommend?
Thanks!
-Fishdude25

fishdude25 said:
Ok. Which brand of sinking catfish wafer/shrimp pellets would you recommend?
Thanks!
-Fishdude25

I like Omega One, has meat as the first ingredient.
I highly recommend frozen food as part of the diet.

Cool water PWCs and frozen food makes my Cory habrosus feel sexy :)

Thanks! I just ordered the Omega One shrimp pellets, they should arrive in a few days. When they come, when should I feed the corys? After dark so they can eat undisturbed?

My cories don't move around much with lights off. I feed the pellets at the same time as other feeding. I also use omega one.

Could be the rams in the process of learning how to care for blue rams I've learned and have been told that they will get aggressive towards bottom dwellers

Back
Top Bottom