Pea/Dwarf Puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MichaelTheGreat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 29 gallon tank that is planted and doing will. I would like to get dwarf puffers only in the tank. How many can I put in and what genders should they be of each? This would be their permanent home.

I have a 29 gallon tank that is planted and doing will. I would like to get dwarf puffers only in the tank. How many can I put in and what genders should they be of each? This would be their permanent home.
I don't know about the sexes on how many but usually 5 gallon per fish is the rule for pea puffers because of there territorial nature. 3 gallon per fish is also ok but 5 gallon is best. So you can put 6 pea puffers in your 29 gallon easily. Since tank is already planted so they will do good and won't have big aggressions because line of sight can be avoided by plants.

I'd go with 8, you'll most likely lose 1 or 2. Build up dw structure with attached plants like java fern and anubias. Make at least 10 cave like spots or hides.

Puffers are really cool. You'll be surprised to know that your 29 gallon tank is actually less in volume if you measure it's dimensions. My 29 gallon tank wound up only being 26 1/2 gallons without gravel. The best suggestion I would give you for puffers in that size tank is 1 male and 2 females. Puffers that are omnivorous (and I'm not sure about your species) may wind up grazing on your plants. And they will need meat too such as frozen blood worms, small prawns and the like. They don't take well to flakes and pellets... Especially while their becoming used to their new home. They also like crunchy lettuce and peas. Even with just 3 in the tank, there will be plenty of movement. When they get used to you, they'll come to the front of the tank to look at you...not just because they think they're being fed. Good luck.

Drjallen3 I love this thing of puffers. I never kept pea puffers but kept green spotted brackish water puffers in past and I love how curious they are. They come to front to see you.

Back
Top Bottom