Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2017, 02:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Peacock Eel or Ropefish?

Recently upgraded to a 120G and I've been looking for some eel-like bottom dwellers for a tropical community.

I plan on doing a school of Zebra or Yoyo loaches so I figure that should be taken into account. (Any opinions on the better of the two? I'm really torn 50/50.)

I'm looking for a couple of eye catchers with personality. From what I've read the Peacock eels can be very timid and hide 24/7, but I love the way they look. Would numbers help increase their activity out in the tank? I have no interest in picking 3 or 4 of them up if they're going to stay burrowed in the sand for the rest of their life.

Ropefish look super interesting but I know close to nothing about their personality. And most of the vidoes on youtube are filmed with a potato. I also read they're escape artists. My 120G is only 5ft long, would that be big enough for 3 of them? I read somewhere they can reach a foot and a half!

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated!

Old 10-18-2017, 11:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

For a flashy Loach / Eel type fish, might research Tiger Botia. It's a beautiful extremely active loach that grows to about 10". Years ago I bought 5 of them to take care of a snail problem. Within two weeks no snails.
The only draw back with the Tigers is that they tend to be a little on the mean side. You need fairly tough tankmates to go with them.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Have you seen fire eel? They look beautiful. Its in my bucket list to own when I will upgrade to a bigger tank.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have a peacock eel. Super great fish, mine will swim around in loops all around the tank. But they require super pristine water quality that I have struggled to meet before. There skin is super delicate and when I first got mine at petsmart the guy netting him was super rough and cut him up, in quarantine I managed to heal him up, but then a few weeks later got a scrape and a nasty bacterial infection, which he is still recovering from. They are super beautiful fish, but also super fragile. Mine is usually super playful, not sure about all of them though.
Hope that input helps a bit.

Tags
eel, fish, peacock, peacock eel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com