Peacock Eel vs rest of my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm really interested in getting a peacock eel for my 48 bow front. It's got sandy areas and floramax for the plants. I have 1 cave occupied by a dragon goby. I'm getting more rocks in today for another cave. My dragon goby gets irritated with my cory cats sometimes getting too close and swimming on his back and generally just being annoyed by them. Would the eel and Goby co-exist or will the Goby bully him out of his cave? I eventually want 3 caves all bordering each other.

My biggest issue is I have 9 Harlequin Rasboras, 5 black neon tetras, 5 cory cats, a male betta, a few loaches and a dragon goby. My betta likes to explore caves and bully everybody except my goby, which he actually runs off other fish that get too close to him. Will the Eel defend his cave if the betta tries to explore it and bully him? I guess without writing a novel, can my other fish survive with a peacock eel in there? Another concern is I also wanted to get a bamboo shrimp. Shrimp are curious creatures by nature, I'm worried he might get snagged up too. I'm moving my RCS out tonight in preparation for the eel.

The eel will do fine, it may eat some of the rasboras and tetras depending on size. Definitely remove your RCS. These eels are carnivorous. I had one in the past and fed it live black worms, frozen blood worms, and freeze-dried tubifex worms. They can jump out of the tank.

Thanks chest. My rasboras and tetras school together in the middle. I'm hoping to put the cave angling away from where they school. Some sort of preventive measures.

The rasboras and tetras are all fully grown if that helps at all

It should max out between 5-8" get a pvc pipe or long under brush for cover. They like to bury themselves in the sand and attack food that comes by.

I was thinking about making a burrow for him already. Having 2 smaller flat rocks, bury them down in the sand upright and having it like a single lane (if that makes any sense). Then having it heavily planted for cover. Thinking about getting Moss for the rocks too but they will never anchor on the smooth surface of the rock. Fishing line can be tedious work too

Back
Top Bottom