Pear dragon flowerhorn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Flowerhorns are fairly common, you may not see them at Petsmart but they're not a rare fish. Trimacs and Festae are rare, most flowerhorns are a low quality fish compared to Trimacs IMO. There's certainly some expensive flowerhorns due to import and breeding cost but only a few LFS carry the the higher end fish.

Last edited:
You cant always assume that.. Some people do research like myself and know the requirements but still need help from time to time.. Just because someone is new to the forum dosent mean they have no clue whats going on.. Everyone learns something new everyday!! **For instance** a flowerhorn isnt a common everyday fish kinda on the rare side, so i would say that if someone has one they should know something about them.. Its not like pickin out a goldfish.. Ur talkin about an expensive fish..

I agree, I usually don't jump to the care requirements stuff unless someone asks, or needs help with an issue.

And actually my local petland chain has been carrying FH's for at least a year now (9.99 each), so they are becoming more common.

My LFS doesn't have any, but i think they don't deal in intentional hybrids or deformed/tattoed fish because i haven't seen any balloon fish or blood parrots either.

Yea hukit the common ones u usually see are most likely the rejects.. Its like buying a dog you wanna make sure he came from akc champion blood line parents.. Same thing people do with flowerhorn especially since they are hybrid.. And as far as the other fish you are right they are rare, good luck trying to find one for sale and trying to see the parents it came from.

A 9.99 flowerhorn that my lfs sells also is def no comparison to a zz, thai silk, red dragon, kamfa, etc.. The ones u see in like a animal and things store are def low grade.. Just marked " flowerhorn" $9.99..

Yea hukit the common ones u usually see are most likely the rejects.. Its like buying a dog you wanna make sure he came from akc champion blood line parents.. Same thing people do with flowerhorn especially since they are hybrid.. And as far as the other fish you are right they are rare, good luck trying to find one for sale and trying to see the parents it came from.

I have both Trimacs and Festae, you can see the eight F2 Red Terrors in my pictures, the five F3 Trimacs are small in a grow out tank.

Kaio the pair of 2.5" parrot flowerhorns were $60..out of NJ

Jeta, yea most people dont get to see quality shopping in those stores.. In most cases they are picked out before or as soon as they are delivered by an employee.

Def agree with your post, all specialized strain has their winners..

Hi Ant329,

I'm sorry if I came off too critical. Really, I'm just making sure. It's just out of instinct, usually because you know, new posters are usually new to the hobby. I really didn't mean it that way, and I hope that your flowerhorn gets big and happy and healthy!

Bruins

Thanks bruins hope he gets big, happy and stays healthy as well

I hope so too! IMO they look really cool when fully grown, especially the males, they get this nuchal hump or something on their forehead! Is yours a boy or a girl???

Its a male the hump is called kok.. Depending on the quality of fish and his parents the kok can get huge.. A good diet, clean tank can help

Cool! I found a pic of a mature flowerhorn
Flowerhorn.jpg
, hope yours looks like this one :)

What are those black kanji looking characters on the fish is that real kanji or just natures design ?

Another man-made fish, just like blood parrots and glofish. You don't find these in the wild, therefore they are not natural dish at all.
they may not be natural, but at least there not dyed(not saying i advocate man made fish,im very much against it)

Try finding a flowerhorn with a chinese letter on it ;) talk about $$$

Back
Top Bottom