Picking Angelfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

becrac16

Aquarium Advice Activist
As my tank slowly recovers from its bout of fin rot (of which almost all affected passed) I'm thinking about what to add next. I saw these gorgeous angel fish at my petco and I want to scoop at least one of them up before I can't anymore. They rarely have angelfish and the other store that carries them I have vowed not to go there anymore. So I know I want 1, but as I have a 55 gal I would like more than one. How do I go about picking the others? Do I just wing it? I heard that they're easy to breed but I'm def not interested in that. In fact, I would like to avoid breeding if at all possible lol.

I'm thinking about putting these guys in my 10 gal quarantine (they're on the baby side size-wise) until my 55 gal is fully healed.

Any advice would sure be appreciated! Thanks!

P.S. I'll be setting up a build thread soon!

I've never kept angels, so I can't give much advice, but since they're cichlids, either 1, or a group of 6, or 8, etc. A smaller group of three or four would promote bullying and the weaker would be more prone to infection, starvation, and death.

Angels are individuals and some will get along with others and some won't. Some are actually down right nasty to their conspecifics. On the otherhand many get along fine with tank mates and don't cause a problem even when breeding.

Hm. Maybe I will just have to observe them in the LFS to see which ones get along best. I heard they can develop attitudes once they get older, is this true?

I also recommend 1 or at least 6 they can bully the heck out of their own kind in smaller numbers. As far as how to pick them...look for healthy specimens with straight fins...curved is ok just not crooked.

Also remember that when full grown they can be quite large, so keep that in mind. Mine were peaceful to everything but other angels.

Alright, maybe I'll just go with 1 then. That'll leave room for more of other kinds!

Back
Top Bottom