Pictus cats and african cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADCISCO

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I get my 55 gallon tank I am going to put cichlids in it. About how many should I get? The other question is can I put those 2 pictus cats in with them or will the pictus eat them??? I have heard a few different stories...one from the lfs and the other that works at walmart that has worked with fish for over 25 yrs......I tend to go more with her because she has done work outside of petstores and had a private business setting up tanks and such but I just dont know.....you hear so much is all gobbly goop! Does anyone know what is true????

What type of African Cichlids are you wanting to put in??? That can make a big difference on how many you can put in there because Frontosas can reach sizes up to 14" I do believe and others such as a Kenyi only get about 4.5". So I think that a Pictus cat wouldn't eat a juvenile Frontosa, but it might eat a juvenile Kenyi, just an example.

I have no idea what kind. I dont know alot about african cichlids. I just know that I want some with some bright color......the cats might even have to go! I dont know just yet. I sick of fish getten eaten and I was told it will only get worse as the get bigger.....Not very comforting :roll:

I am presuming you want something like Lemon Yellows and Red Zebras. 9 or so would be good for a 55g if they are the smaller Africans (5 inches and less). African Cichlids usually have to be in a species only tank, sometimes you can squeeze a Pleco or two in there if the tank (and Pleco) is large enough. I do not think Africans and a Pictus Cat would go together well, the Pictus Cats do eat other fish, but they are not aggressive. Cichlids on the other hand are very aggressive and many time, non species fish will not last long in the tank unless they are much larger or just as aggressive.

I know. They carry alot of convicts around here and I do not want them because they dont have alot of color.There are just so many. I have seen alot of the African ones at walmart ....all colors in one tank seemingly to get along pretty well. There is just so much to learn about them and what kind of rock to use as caves when making homes...... its just so much! But I want to do all the research I can on them before I buy some!

I just converted my 125g over to a Cichlid tank. I'm "VERY" happy that I did.
I brought all my FW fish to the petstore(including my 2 catfish) and got Cichlids instead.
I also went with all males. I was told that when they reach adults, the color's are brilliant. I do have 1 female because she's yellow and will remain yellow.

Make sure you add plenty of rocks for hiding places.
They are so fascinating to watch :mrgreen:
Good Luck

When my fiancé and I picked out cichlids for our tank, we went for the brightest color, hoping for all males, no such luck. Even though we know we have different species, they interbreed (little :devilish: ).
ADCISCO-- I have a suggestion for a catfish—Mystus vittatus. We have one in with the cichlids, he’s only 4” and we’ve had him for a year (definitely has not grown much and he’s in an 80 gal). His green strips are striking and he stays out in the daytime.
As for rocks, we found a deal on lace rock and the cichlids really like that. I also found Texas holey rock on eBay—with shipping it does add up, but they were worth it. My suggestion is once you find rock you like—get all that you will need (especially if it’s a deal!). We did not buy enough lace rock and since moving to Calgary, cannot find it in the large sizes we found it before!

I don't think pictus would work real well with Africans. Pictus like soft water with a pH around 7.5 or less, and that would be a stretch for most Africans.

ADCISCO said:
I have seen alot of the African ones at walmart ....all colors in one tank seemingly to get along pretty well. There is just so much to learn about them and what kind of rock to use as caves when making homes...... its just so much! But I want to do all the research I can on them before I buy some!

www.cichlid-forum.com

The tank at Wal-mart works because they're not adults. You also don't want to mix different kinds of Africans, like Haps, Peacocks and Mbunas. You can learn alot at the above referenced link. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom