Piranha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

staffen13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What do you guys think of 5 piranhas In a 55 gallon tank just starting out. What do you guys think of the idea. I know there has to be acouple people out there like me that want or have piranhas. Any further advice on helping or with anything would be really nice. Thanks everybody and god bless the U.S.A.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

messy eaters you will need great filtration and a lot of water changes and they just sit there when not eating

My filter is recommended at 100 gallons. I thought almost double would be good for the piranhas. and yes i have read a lot about people spending so much money in food for them in a year it's unreal.

messy eaters you will need great filtration and a lot of water changes and they just sit there when not eating

+1... I tried red belly piranhas twice before and was very disappointed in how boring they were. The only time they'd ever move was when it was feeding time or if they got scared and they'd just dart around the tank. I've heard they get a little less boring the bigger they get but i didn't have the patience to wait as they're pretty slow growers.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Speaking of growing, don't they get a foot long. A 55g isn't very spacious for (5) foot long fish.

Not trying to burst bubbles but I would double check ur state laws as they are illegal to own in some states.

And also ur going to want to have around 15-20 gallons of tank space per fish and the filtration should probably be doubled what u have already.

Piranha have to be the most dull boring fish around

They hang in the water doing nothing

You will probably get one or 2 picked off as some get bigger than others

The colour is dull

They are very messy if your filter is rated at 100 gal go and buy another filter rated at the same

They are a great fish for school kids to show off to their mates nothing more

I have to disagree, all fish in the proper setup are beautiful and interesting. A 55g isn't the appropriate tank for a school but 150g or 200g with large cichlids and catfish would be no different than keeping a school of tetras in a small community setup.

I have to disagree with that to not all fish are beautiful

Take parrot fish they are nasty and what would be the correct environment for them they don't even know what's right for them being man made some fancy goldfish are the same dam ugly

We can all tell people what they want to hear to keep the peace and people don't like the way I post mainly because I say how I feel and what most people are thinking but are to polite to say

Back
Top Bottom