Plants and algi question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iman74

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well guys, since my last post things have been going good for the most part. I am still 4 community fish strong in my 20 gallon tank, all levels are pretty much where they should be: ph 7.6 (not sure why), Ammonia and Nitrite 0, and Nitrate .5 and holding. However, probably because I have the light on too much algae is growing, and being that I am iffy about chemicals I was thinking about getting an algae eater however there is still a small issue. While an algae eater can eat the algae off my toys, gravel, and walls, it can't do it off the plastic plants, and algae on my plastic plants I just don't like. So here is my dilemma, should I just try to clean all the algae, or leave the algae get an algae eater but clean the plastic plants or the third choice get an algae eater but replace the plastic plants with a real plant. Not sure what to do, and if I were to get a real plant what kind? I don't trust those that work at the pet store anymore, well except this one hot blonde. What do you guys think?

Oh by the way, for those that live in the USA: Happy Thanksgiving.

Don't use chemicals. Shorten the time you have the light on and do more frequent water changes.

What type of lighting do you have on the tank? That will better determine what kind of plants you can have.

Well, the first step would be to cut down on the time the lights are on.

I am a huge advocate of live plants, but if you don't do some basic research first you'll only wind up frustrated. If you have enough light wattage, some good plants to try would be water sprite and wisteria, since they grow fast enough to outcompete algae. It would probably be a good idea to clean off as much algae as possible first. Plastic plants and decorations can be easily cleaned by placing them in a very dilute bleach solution for a few minutes. Rinse very well before putting them back in.

Why couldn't an algae eater eat it off the plants? They are very talented. If you do go with an algae eater, try an otocinclus catfish or two. They stay very small. Do not get a pleco, since you will almost certainly wind up with a species that outgrows your tank. A mystery snail might also be a good choice.

I have a pleco, but he just couldn't keep up with all the algae (I had so much! It was like long strands of green hair covering everything and it waved in the current).

Out of my frusteration of it not going away, I went the chemical route and I ended up with a sparkling tank, but a bacteria bloom I've been battling for over a month now.

I'd say scrub your plants/decor really well, the bleach solution sounds like a good idea (but be sure to rinse them really well!) and cut down on the light time. An algae eater is probably not a bad idea if you get live plants because you will, potentially, need to have more light for them to survive, thus feeding the algae too.

The first thing you should do is buy a timer for your light. After that either go with the otos or snails or clean the tank and you should be good to go. Oh and since you dont have live plants I would have the time set to go on the hours you would be most likely to view your fish. You wont need a full 12 hours of light since you dont have live plants.

Well, actually my first question would be: how long have you had the tank up and running?
If your algae is brownish then it could be diatoms. These are caused generally in new tanks because of a higher silicate to phosphate ratio and as the silicates from your glass and sealant leach into the water the problem develops. This process will usually finish after about 12 weeks tops.

Sound advice to cut down on lighting time though: how long do you have lights on at the moment? Cut down to about 8 per day and see how you go. Without real plants inside you won't have to worry too much about ensuring you have them on for long.

An oto or three would be a good choice for a cleanup crew though. They love diatom algae in particular!

You could also invest in an algae cleaner tool (I use this long-handled abrasive brush which works well in my glass and acrylic tanks of all sizes). Algae is often part of the deal with keeping fish. Sure we'd all love to have a huge basement with no natural light so we can position our tanks perfectly, but for some of us we have to make do with the houses we already own! :)

Hello all,

I am having the same problem. My tank is a 20L with an Eclipse 3 hood. It has the lights and filter all built into it. Anyway, I thought too much light might be the problem and removed one of the two 18w bulbs from the hood. Didn't think about just not burning them as long. Algae is still growing. I have one pleco and two small corys for clean uo. The suggestions above are great. Gave me several options to ponder. The one option that appeals most is placing live plants and an algae eater or two in the tank. If I do that, should go ahead and replace that bulb I removed? I assume the live plants would love more light. Right?

BTW, I love this forum. I kept freshwater fish for several years. But moved on to other interests about 10 years ago. I recently remarried and my wife is absolutely in love the aquarium! Well, me too for that matter. i learn something on this forum every time I log in.

Thanks
Cliff

if your dead set on gettin a pleco that stays small, you could research the gold nugget pleco, it gets to 6 inches, beautiful black and yellow colorings, but the downside is they usually are kinda expensive and they are exxtremely sensitive to water quality, I call it a " show quality " pleco lol other plecos that stay relativly small are"

1. candy striped pleco ( L- 137 ) 4" max size

2. bushy nose pleco ( L-144 ) 4.5 " max size

3.tiger pleco ( L- 02 ) 6" max size

4. Zebra pleco ( true L-46 ) 3" max size

5.starry night pleco ( L-183 ) 4" max size

6.thomasi pleco ( L- 188a ) 6" max size

7. gypsy king tiger pleco (L -66 ) 5.5" max size

8.golden stripes peckoltia pleco ( LDA-20 ) 4.5 " max size

9. medusa head pleco ( L-34 ) 6" max size

10. queen arabesque pleco ( L-260 ) 4" max size

11. hairy tiger pleco ( L-105 ) 4" max size

12. snowball pleco ( L-102 ) 5.5 " max size

13. gold banded pleco ( L- 134 ) 4" max size

14. angelicous pleco ( l-05 ) 4.5 " max size

15. net pleco ( L -037 ) 4.5" max size

16. yello prince tiger pleco ( L-72 ) 4.5" max size

these would fit in a 20 if ya wnna read about them, go to liveaquria.com

Half of those don't eat algae.

Take a look at www.planetcatfish.com for authoritative info on which plecs would be both suitable in size and in diet for your setup.

I'd personally recommend a bristlenose plec: these stay small and are expert algae eaters (provided they're not overfed anything else). Another option might be a bulldog plec (L187A): http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=308

You might also consider a butterfly plec (L168) though these are larger: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=706

You say you've already got a plec though, and in a 20G (and without knowing the species you already own), I wouldn't think it a good idea to get another.

You're probably best with a trio of otos.

Back
Top Bottom