Play Sand for Malawi Cichlid Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAWRRitsEDWINN

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would play sand be okay for a malawi cichlid tank? I plan to add the SeaChem buffer to raise the pH of the water.

Play sand is a mess to rinse clean and compacts very tightly, making it more likely to develop anaerobic pockets. Pool filter sand or a very small grade of gravel are better options for aquariums. Pool filter sand is graded to a uniform particle size, and the larger bits make it easier to siphon w/out sucking too much sand out of of the tank.
If you want a black substrate check out Black Diamond blasting grit. It's actually coal slag, not sand, but works just fine for an aquarium substrate. No silica so no diatom bloom after you put it into the tank.

Play sand is a mess to rinse clean and compacts very tightly, making it more likely to develop anaerobic pockets. Pool filter sand or a very small grade of gravel are better options for aquariums. Pool filter sand is graded to a uniform particle size, and the larger bits make it easier to siphon w/out sucking too much sand out of of the tank.
If you want a black substrate check out Black Diamond blasting grit. It's actually coal slag, not sand, but works just fine for an aquarium substrate. No silica so no diatom bloom after you put it into the tank.
+1. Nothing wrong with play sand, but it is a pain to wash, and it isn't visually appealing. I would also recommend white pool filter sand. You can get 50 pounds of it for around 10 bucks at the nearest pool store. It's pretty, easy to wash, and IMO is a better option.

I use play sand in my Mbuna tank. It works great. The cichlids move the sand around so much there isn't much to worry about as far as anything compacting. I don't think I'd worry about the PH of your water either, as long as you don't have a water softener. Adding unnecessary chemicals is never a good idea if not needed. The LFS you buy your fish from most likely are not raising PH in their tanks and the fish are most likely used to the PH they have. As long as it stays rather consistant I believe that is better than using buffers.

Back
Top Bottom