Pleco!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.b

Aquarium Advice Addict
Put in algae wafer for my 2 plecos. I really never see my plecos touching them, my fish love them more than anything. Should I still feed it to them if the plecos aren't even touching it?

Im sure the plecos eat them, but try and feed them the flakes at night when the other fish are less active and the plecos are out and about

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Im sure the plecos eat them, but try and feed them the flakes at night when the other fish are less active and the plecos are out and about

Flakes? N ok thanks

Plecos are scavengers. Unless you see your pleco exhibiting a sunken belly, you have nothing to worry about.

I do agree about feeding after lights out, though. I need to do the same for my featherfin cat.

Haha yea my feather fin is a crazy little guy! Hes always hiding and right when the lights go off he shoots around and eats just about everything!

Mine used to only come out at night but now he's out no matter the time of day and I'm so glad he got over his shyness.

If your really worried about your pleco not getting enough to eat, you could give them veggies like fresh cucumbers or zucchini ( you can get a veggie clip @ the lfs that suctions to the side) or buy frozen green beans and boil them or you can also use canned green beans. I like to use frozen because you can buy it in bulk and then only take out a small amount at a time and boil, it's cheaper that way IMO. Most of my other fish won't touch these kind of veggies but my plecos, and feather fin cat loves them!

LyndaB said:
Mine used to only come out at night but now he's out no matter the time of day and I'm so glad he got over his shyness.

How big is your catfish?? Mines a little guy :) abt 2 inches :)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Thats a great idea!! I heard u can do Blanched veggies correct?

Yeah you can boil the green beans if you buy them frozen or you can just give them to them right from the can if using canned green beans. Blanching just helps them to sink better or they will float around @ the top. With the cucumbers and zucchini you can just buy fresh, I buy organic cuz I'm always afraid of pesticides. And then just use a veggie clip with a suction cup you can clip to the side of the tank. I've also tried Romaine lettuce but mine don't seem to like it as well. :)

When I got him, he was a sub-adult, probably 3 inches. He's been in my 75 for a year I want to say. He's had a couple of growth spurts, I guess. :D

Back
Top Bottom