Pleco help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chefjus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55g freshwater tank. It's been solid for two years and Had great algae eater that kept it nice and clean. We bought a house and moved everything and the big guy died. We bought another and two pairs of angelfish. For some reason No matter what we put in to eat the algae it seems to die now. Some last a month and others last a day. Is there a certain species that won't get in the way of the angelfish? They get along with everyone else in the tank

Maybe try a clown loach or see if you can find a bigger pleco?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a 55g freshwater tank. It's been solid for two years and Had great algae eater that kept it nice and clean. We bought a house and moved everything and the big guy died. We bought another and two pairs of angelfish. For some reason No matter what we put in to eat the algae it seems to die now. Some last a month and others last a day. Is there a certain species that won't get in the way of the angelfish? They get along with everyone else in the tank

Are the angelfish bothering the algae eaters or could it possibly be some difference in your new water supply that's messing with them? Considering even the first algae eater you had for years died in the new place I would lean more towards something got screwed up in the move or something different is in your water that is messing with them. I'd test the water coming straight out of whatever tap you're using to see if there's something strange in it.

Maybe try a clown loach or see if you can find a bigger pleco?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Clown Loaches don't eat Algae. They need groups and big tanks. Like 125g or larger.

To the OP, Test your water. Don't buy an algae eater to eat algae. Buy a fish because you like it AND it suits your tank.

If you don't have the right kind of algae the fish can starve. They don't eat every kind.

Otos are awesome, but sensitive and need groups. Great little fish.

I'd recommend 5-6 Otos once tank is stable.

Or 1 Bristlenose Pleco...but make sure you feed it. Blanched Zucchini is good. Omega One Algae Wafers. Don't feed every day, but offer some food.

Plecos poop almost as much as they eat. Don't buy Common or Sailfin Plecos. They both hit 12" or more.

Planet Catfish and LiveAquaria have decent info.

Not all Plecos eat algae. Some are Wildcaught. Some get huge. Do your research before buying.

If you are getting algae, reduce light. Buy Timer , only use lights 6-8 hours daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom