Pleco Poop!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaloric7

Aquarium Advice Regular
I picked up two small, BN plecos to help with an algae problem. In two days, they've eaten all the algae and covered the sand with poop! I mean, it's everywhere. Are they just dirty little fellas, or what?

:blink:

Once they're just eating off of algae wafers and veggies, will they still poop as much?

Every day i used to be fishing un sightly poop out of my tank. But the thing with pleco's is the like to hide, so I built mine a nice little rock cave near my intake for my filter. Still poops as much but its gone in seconds.

They are gold medallist poopers! They never stop eating, so they never stop pooping. The first couple of years I fought it almost daily with battery operated vacuums (I went through several) in between my twice a week water changes. Now the poop doesn't worry me- I still do my twice a week water changes (thoroughly cleaning the gravel as I go), and I point the circulation pump at any 'tinsel' that may be draped over plants, but that's it. If it's sitting on the substrate it can wait until the next pwc. The poop lets me know they're healthy (or not as the case may be).
The only fish I've had that was a worse pooper was a comet.

Every day i used to be fishing un sightly poop out of my tank. But the thing with pleco's is the like to hide, so I built mine a nice little rock cave near my intake for my filter. Still poops as much but its gone in seconds.

Hmm good idea! I have a little cave my larger common likes to hide under, and its always filthy when vacuuming in that area. I guess I will move it over to the filter intake!!

I also have 5 juvey bristlenose, and since they are still so little you cant really see the poo all that much.

Mine (common but only about 3") sometime has like 10-12" hanging off him it floats around (still attached to him).. But since I moved him to my big tank with fake plants and a lot of hiding place/caves I don't see it anymore.. I kinda learned to live him and like that he cleans my giant snail lol

Mine (common but only about 3") sometime has like 10-12" hanging off him it floats around (still attached to him).. But since I moved him to my big tank with fake plants and a lot of hiding place/caves I don't see it anymore.. I kinda learned to live him and like that he cleans my giant snail lol

Wait, he can have a foot-long strand of poop dangling??

Yep, mine are great algae eaters and pooping machines. Switched from sand to gravel/rocks because it shows less. We hardly see the fish but see the "gifts" they leave! It really helped to move the tall plants right in front of the hob intake tube because they like to hang on the glass behind the plants. Most of the poo gets sucked up right away.

Back
Top Bottom