Pleco Sizes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Is it just me, or do you find that the max size listed for plecos is often much bigger than they actually get? Its like if they listed max size for humans they would say 8 feet, but most of us grow to about 6 feet.

In any case, I have had a Royal for about six months now. I got it when it was 2" long, now it is 3" to 3 1/2" long. I was told it would be about 8" by now. In my experience, people either really overestimate the max size of plecos or overestimate their growth rate, because they are not the "tank busters" that a lot of "knowledgeable" aquarists claim them to be.

I guess it just depends on the plec, the tank its in, and the nutrition its getting. When I had my common, it got HUGE. I had to take it to the lfs. I think if you keep a pleco in too small of a tank it can stunt its growth. And naturally having the right things to eat will help it grow.

I think you both are quite right. If someone was wanting to keep humans in their terrarium I would definately say a max height of 8' just to make sure that it was big enough for the biggest specimin they might come across. Another good point was why they usually don't reach that max size. Diet and water quality play a huge role in why captive creatures never reach their maximum sizes, though they should in theory excede their natural limits due to regular feedings and lack of predation.

Back
Top Bottom