Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyKisses

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anybody tell me what kind of plecos these are? I am just learning how to properly care for my aquariums, and I have all three of these in a 29 gallon. I now know that is wrong. Will any of these three be ok in 29 gallons? Or do I need to re home all of them? The smallest one(the albino) is the most aggressive one.

image-2899829601.jpg

image-2674461928.jpg

image-3577607738.jpg

image-201388446.jpg

image-3988284903.jpg

image-838499408.jpg

I also have 6 platies and two blue gouramis in there. Had two Bala sharks, but they went to live at Bass Pro Shops! Yay

My local fish stores carries all three of those. Plecos have all kind of names, and very few are accurate. My local fish store has them listed as...from first to last....sailfin Pleco, albino bushy nose, and long fin common Pleco. Only the albino should be in a 29. Plecos have high bioloads. Those three are too many for a 29 gallon. I would say to try and rehome 1 of the two others, and then see how the other does, and if it gets too big just rehome that one too. Or keep all three and just see what happens.

+1 bio load is going to be big. Be ready for pwc

I do a 20% water change every other day. I want what is best for them though. I got them all when I was clueless! I am trying to fix that now. I have a friend with a 150 gallon that is wiling to take the other two. I am glad to know that at least one can stay. I am also buying some snails to go in there. The albino is still pretty small. What do you think about the fish stocking?

Ok, so the two dark algae eaters have a new home! They should be very happy now! I kept the albino, because it should stay small(?) I did a 50% water change once I got them out of my aquarium, and removed all of the decorations to really clean the gravel good. It was pretty nasty! I don't know my parameters, but my new API kit will be here Monday morning. Not sure how to use it, but I will figure it out. Next question...I now have 6 adult platies, an ACF, albino algae eater, and two blue gouramis...how is that stocking? I was planning on putting my 9 platy fry in once they are old enough?! Will that make it over stocked? I can always give them to the fish store in town(they are a tiny shop and don't have much) but would like to keep them if I'm not overstocking! I take everyone's advice very serious, and would really like the help! Thank you!

Ps I got a water changer from Walmart(like the python) and it is amazing!!!!! I will never go back!

Ok, so the two dark algae eaters have a new home! They should be very happy now! I kept the albino, because it should stay small(?) I did a 50% water change once I got them out of my aquarium, and removed all of the decorations to really clean the gravel good. It was pretty nasty! I don't know my parameters, but my new API kit will be here Monday morning. Not sure how to use it, but I will figure it out. Next question...I now have 6 adult platies, an ACF, albino algae eater, and two blue gouramis...how is that stocking? I was planning on putting my 9 platy fry in once they are old enough?! Will that make it over stocked? I can always give them to the fish store in town(they are a tiny shop and don't have much) but would like to keep them if I'm not overstocking! I take everyone's advice very serious, and would really like the help! Thank you!

Ps I got a water changer from Walmart(like the python) and it is amazing!!!!! I will never go back!

I think It would be best to give at least some of your fry to the LFS, that's a fair amount of fish for a 29. I'd keep an eye on your African clawed frog though, I've heard that they may go after your other fish. Check out aqadvisor.com and see what it says about your stock list, its not perfectly accurate every time but its a good starting point.

I think It would be best to give at least some of your fry to the LFS, that's a fair amount of fish for a 29. I'd keep an eye on your African clawed frog though, I've heard that they may go after your other fish. Check out aqadvisor.com and see what it says about your stock list, its not perfectly accurate every time but its a good starting point.

I will check aquadvisor, and see what it says. I have had my ACF for about three years now. The only thing she has ever went after is my platy fry. I had some neon tetras(very small) at one point, and she never bothered them. I make sure she is well fed, so that could be why. I will call the fish store in the morning. I will keep one of my fry, only because she has the most beautiful Mickey Mouse spot that I have ever seen. The rest will go to the fish store. I am just going to let nature take its course from now on. Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom