Plecos & Chinese Algae eater 29 gal with Crorys?? good b

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why not try a Golden Nugget Pleco? I forget the L number for him but i can get it for you if you want :) They grow to be a max size of 6" and in my opinion are some of the nicest looking algae eaters ive seen. They love algae wafers, I buy the Hikari Branded wafers and he goes nuts.

Sorry Pleco,
I forgot the Golden Nugget Pleco while typing my reply...
Let me see what my local Petsmart, Petco or PetSupermarket have available and in good condition... Crory, Ottos or the Golden Nugget Pleco.!!

What number of them should I get, so they are all happy and feel safer??

MiamiFishy said:
Sorry Pleco,
I forgot the Golden Nugget Pleco while typing my reply...
Let me see what my local Petsmart, Petco or PetSupermarket have available and in good condition... Crory, Ottos or the Golden Nugget Pleco.!!

What number of them should I get, so they are all happy and feel safer??

If you get a golden nugget i would say just 1. I have a 40 Gallon tank and only keep one GN Pleco in the tank. I am not sure about there, but here in California they are a little hard to find. Expect to pay $19-$39 for a juvenile GN Pleco, but i would say around here they average out around $29.

L-85 is the designation for a GN Pleco, have fun :)

Interestingly, I have read that many plecos, including the various gold nuggets, should generally not be kept with other plecos of the same type. But then again, I know many people have mutiples, so I don't know what the answer is. But I know they aren't schoolers, so there is nothing wrong with getting just one.

bosk1 said:
Interestingly, I have read that many plecos, including the various gold nuggets, should generally not be kept with other plecos of the same type. But then again, I know many people have mutiples, so I don't know what the answer is. But I know they aren't schoolers, so there is nothing wrong with getting just one.

In a tank 40 gallon or smaller i wouldnt keep more than 1 GN Pleco in the tank, they can get aggressive toward each other. If i had a 70 + gallon tank though id have 2 since there is more than enough space for two adults to have their own "hoods".

Once more, Thank you!

Since I really did never looked for Golden Nugget Plecos, I wont know either what price it would have around here. I might have to try Exotic Aquarium, a LFS and see. They do have some nice fish around, both salt and fresh water kinds.

So, if I get one GNP pleco, 3 Ottos and 2 extra Corys I would be ok??? space wise for the 29 gal tank???

My Betta is kinda settle into his territory that is this little hollow rock that sits in the right coner of the tank, and the two corys kinda claimed the main and right arcs of my 3 arc stone bridge ( plastic..but looks real rockish...), one my original zebra group male has declared the area in front of the bridge as his... from arc to arc...stays way from the Betta dought...He is smart!

So, with that in mind... would I be over pushing territory claims in the tank's realstate market ! ja ja

That's a pretty heavy stock. So, let me make sure I've got it right. In total, you want:
15 danios
1 betta
1 GN Pleco
5 cories
3 otos

I'd probably ditch the pleco.

bosk1 said:
That's a pretty heavy stock. So, let me make sure I've got it right. In total, you want:
15 danios
1 betta
1 GN Pleco
5 cories
3 otos

I'd probably ditch the pleco.

I'd ditch some danios, but im a sucker for a cute pleco :D

Well, I would agree with that as well, but he already has the danios, so that's why I didn't suggest that.

Hey guys,

Mmm.... I could maybe just get two Ottos???

And I can't ditch the danios... I got a 2 1/2 glass tank with about another... I don't know, 12-15 juveniles Danios from the second batch of fry that I rescue from the 29 gal tank. Not to mention, the few that I might get from the 2 spared filter medias that got pull off the filter last night. So far I know I saw 3 fry in the change water...so lets see how many more I get today!!!

Its funny, of the original started fish, the Danios that survived, 3 were females and 1 a male. One of my female died of a strange ulcer like hole that formed on her right side and after several treatments and healing and getting back ill, the hole went thru it and I put her to sleep. But before she got ill, she led her decendence in the tank gravel.

Another of my females, which I call " the great white," because she was holding on her eggs she was really big. I could even see her rib lines. When I got the 29 gal and trasfer her and the other 2 danios with the corys and Betta she started pumping out eggs...I still see one or two fry in the gravel now and then.

So Bosk1, that list might get a little bigger...not to mention... I think one or two of the juvenile females are with eggs. UaahhhH!!!

Back
Top Bottom