possible to add a beta to my community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Check out the fish in my sig.. do you think a beta would be ok? I really want one, and i know if they see fish that look like them they will fight, but i don't think any of my fish woud be incompatible with a betta, except maybe the angels? what do yall think? I fell in love with a beautiful scarlett red one...

i know angels are cichlids, but why why would they mess with the betta? And ive seen bettas in with dwarf gouramis with no problems... im sorry, i just can't take no as an answer unless i know WHY its a no answer.. LOL. I just want to know the reasoning behind your answer, because, althoughangels are cichlids, they are pretty peaceful IMO.

anything is possible. You MIGHT be able to mix the two - but the odds are against you.

Bettas can be onry and kill your other fish. Bettas also have long slow fins that are easy to nip (tempting - even for docile fish). Now you have a fish very likely to harm other fish or be harmed by other fish (or both).

Angels fins are vulnerable to nipping by the betta, or vice versa. Gouramis often have territory disputes with bettas over the top of the tank, as they're both labyrinth fish. That's how I understand it, at least.

well that all makes sense. I think i want to try it and see how it works. I have a spare 5 gallon i can put the betta in if need be... but i want to see what happens. I think it would be interesting.

I would not put a betta in this tank for the same reasons that the other members mentioned. I've also seen a group of tetras gang up on and get very nippy with bettas. However, I'm glad that you have a spare 5 gallon tank for the betta if necessary. I always recommend a "backup plan" (a spare tank) if you're going to try a betta in a community tank. Remember to watch the betta closely if you try this. Problems with compatibility could begin right away, or a week or two may pass uneventfully before problems begin.

An t-iasg said:
I would not put a betta in this tank for the same reasons that the other members mentioned. I've also seen a group of tetras gang up on and get very nippy with bettas. However, I'm glad that you have a spare 5 gallon tank for the betta if necessary. I always recommend a "backup plan" (a spare tank) if you're going to try a betta in a community tank. Remember to watch the betta closely if you try this. Problems with compatibility could begin right away, or a week or two may pass uneventfully before problems begin.

right, i realize this 'experiment' would require very close vigilence, but i am prepared to do it and it would be interesting tosee how it would work. Its a big aquarium, with lotsa hiding places and such... i will think about it, and i will have the 5 gal set up adn ready just in case...

Hopefully it will work out for you. Every experience I have had with bettas in community tanks ended badly (for the beta). Those fins are just too tempting for most fish and add the beta is sort of like a turtle in speed it just doesn't help.

Angels can be very aggresive , espesially to something of similiar shape ie betta.. also the betta will fast be smaller than an angel... Yes some gouramis can be kept with a betta but the majority cant ... they are nippers.. for the saftey of all dont ..

Gouramis and bettas often dont get along. They are from the same family, Anabantidae, so they share some behaviour similarities and they are territorial species.

D.

Thanks for all the different views... I am still going to try but will have the 5 gallon set up.. i am just curious to see what will happen, i of course won't let any harm come to anyone... Thanks for all the input.

My bettas just flare at my gouramis and they back off... and I've never had an issue with nipping fish except for my baby mollies, but they're like having puppies, they like to test anything they can get their mouth on.

Most of the research shows that bettas do not do well with angels or gouramis, for several of the reasons already listed. Bettas and gouramis are related and tend to occupy the same niche. They can be nippy. Angels and bettas do not do well because the can nip one another, doing a lot of damage. I realize you are going to try this even though people are telling you it's not a good idea, please do be vigilant! It would be sad to see a fish suffer in your tank just as an experiment. Good luck, I hope it goes well and everyone, including you, are happy with the outcome :D

don't you dare add a fighter to your community tank. It will suffer and die. They don't like active fish...it scares them and makes them want to hide. They only really like their own company of other female fighters.

tailbarlionfish said:
don't you dare add a fighter to your community tank. It will suffer and die. They don't like active fish...it scares them and makes them want to hide. They only really like their own company of other female fighters.

For one thing, have you even read anything ive said? Don't you think i will be careful? I will have a 5 gallon set up all for him...
Also, Betta fish ESPECIALLY don't like their own company... and a female and a male can only coexist while they spawn.. afterwards they will tear each other apart.
It's not realy a community tank, i mean it is but i have some semi-aggressive fish in there.. the angels and my male gourami. And serpae tetras are a bit more aggressive than others. Also my rainbow shark...
anyway, as i have previously stated, i am NOT going to let a fish suffer because of this.. if there are any ill effects i will put him in his own home! And besides, i haven't even got one yet...

Back
Top Bottom