Preventative for Algea? Other Preventatives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

Well, I now know in SW one of the biggest things you need to try to prevent is a cyano (algea) outbreak.

What do I need to prevent that will save me lots of hassle in the future?

As far as algea????

This will be a planted tank, if that helps any.

Thanks for the link, but it didnt help much. Now I have no clue what to do.

It says UV lights will keep all algea away, but it is not good for a planted aquarium.

Also says high lighting (What I have) keeps some algea away, exept promotes the growth of others.

WHAT SHOULD I DO? I would LIKE to have a planted tank, how do you planted tank owners manage the algea?

If you have high lighting planted tank and no CO2 infection you will get algae. But if you have CO2 injectionthe plants should absorb all the nutrient before the algae gets them.Another way to control algae is to get some otocinculus catfish, they will eat algae on the glass, on rocks, and plant leaves.

If you are going to be using the lights from your SW tank, using two 65w CF, you will definitely need CO2 to prevent algae. You can find tons of info on CO2 by using the search function or, taking a look in the planted tank forum.

UV sterilizer are great but you shouldn't need it for a planted tank.

Algae requires light and nutrients, and it is also opportunistic in that it can more easily access nutrients than higher order plants. You certainly can have a planted tank with algae if the plants are not getting what they need to uptake the the available nutrients, leaving the algae to get the upper hand.

If you are new to planted tanks try to stick to ~2wpg and choose plants that do not require higher lighting. Do not overstock and do not overfeed, and keep a regular maintenance schedule. If your tap water does not already contain excess nutrients (like NO3 and PO4, most commonly) then it is easier to keep algae under control. Keep your tank away from sunlight and put your lights on a timer as well.

if you keep the current bulbs.. you should be able to get away without the need of CO2.. the current setup is only ~1.5wpg the plants outcompete the algae. HTH

My current setup is closer to 2.5 WPG than 1.5 WPG.

So what types of bulbs should I get? They are 36 watts each, one Actinic and one 10,000K right now.

Don't overfeed the fish. And do weekly gravel vacs. If the algae isn't well fed it shouldn't get out of control. Once your tank is established toss in an algae eater but be sure to supplement with veggies if there is not enough algae in the tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom