Protozoan Question: should I be concerned?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ElvisMinnow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been watching with some interest the accumulation of very tiny bits of something on my plants. I have an unknown-to-me vigorous vine-like plant (Wisteria ?)in my 10 gal tank, and these little things have appeared all over it during the past week or so. I first thought that it was just some organic junk, then maybe small hydroids (?) or something, so finally as it continued to accumulate I thought, heck, and under a microscope it went.

Well, there are a zillion protists of every type in and around these clumps...Mostly Stentor, some Vorticella, a few fibrous alga, and some other misc. critterology that I don't know about.

My real worry is not about the Protists, which I think won't be harmful in themselves, but I worry about what this might indicate--things like too many bacteria, too many of the wrong type, too many bacteria because of too many nutrients, etc.

The nitrogen compounds are not a problem as they are all at minimal levels, owing I think to the dense plant life, good light, and also there is Purigen in the filter basket. The water conditioner I use generously, Prime, also knocks down N compounds.

That doesn't mean that there isn't an ample supply of nutrients for bacteria, and these Protist characters to eat, however, as this is a well stocked and planted tank that has lots of organic stuff around.

Any thoughts as to how much I should worry about this as an indicator of problems of some sort?

I wouldn't worry too much ... All that life indicates a healthy eco-system in the tank. The Germans even have a name for that <Ausfilt or something....> and certain fish <eg hillstream loaches> depends on it for survival. <They don't eat any prepared food.>

Micro fauna is excellent food for many types of fish fry.........There are filter feeding shrimp you can get that will love your critters.

Back
Top Bottom