Puffer fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had 2 spotted puffer fish in a 10 gallon tank by themselves. they did great, then one died. now I have my single puffer in a 20 gallon tank with 1 feeder fish and 1 Auratus African Cichlid. they get along just fine. of course i think my puffer is an exception because he will not eat fish only shrimp and snails. but as long as you have antiquate room for the puffer and other fish try it, your puffer might surprise you as mine has.

Amazon puffers are your only bet, although the tank would need to be quite large for best results.

Not many freshwater community tanks are able to house amazon puffer since these tanks typically need to be 100+ gallons to appropriately care for a group of amazons. A group of Amazon can stress out their tankmates by nipping and chasing them around.

I would definitely not recommend trying Amazon puffer in a community tank, but you can always try with caution. Its a lot more work maintaining such an environment and feeding the tank without overfeeding the puffers.

Off topic posts have been removed. AA is not a venue for store bashing. Thank you.

I have a dwarf puffer in a community tank and havnt had any problems. They're small and move really slow.

I have a Malabar Puffer and I had a True Red Eyed Puffer (passed away from old age)

Both were in community tanks and never bothered any one. My Malabar is with a deformed guppy, betta, black neon tetras and ghost shrimp. She is in a 30 gallon, I would not attempt to put her in my larger tank because of my fear of the filter being to big and possibly sucking her in because she is so small.

My freshwater Puffers all have been docile, but then again they are very small.

Back
Top Bottom