Purigen Regen Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rams seem to be improving and just had a few nibbles at boiled peas and a bit of a disagreement over dinner, still washed out looking but a feeding fish makes me happy, no more deaths as yet - water still cloudy, but I think it's my plants not doing so good, and the small bit of black hair algae I had has just went into full swing, next thing I'll be tackling once this problem is sorted. One thing I can say about keeping fish is there is never a dull moment, thankfully all my other tanks are sitting pretty, couldn't take something like this on more than one tank at a time. There most be other easier hobbies to take up when you quit smoking! Knitting is sounding good :)

I'm glad to hear the little ones are slowly coming around! I use the purgen for the same reason. But you know what I finally did... I got a UV sterilizer and it works just the same. Figured buying a bulb for it once a year is still cheaper than buying purgen. Just a thought. Hope you can get your tank back on the straight and narrow. As much as you love the hobby it can drive you absolutely crazy but in the end once a problem is fixed you know you wouldn't give it up for anything.

Cheers Rivercats, actually looking into the new Eheim UV unit coming out in October. I already have an inline heater fitted to my outflow pipe so I'll have to see if I can have both fitted to the same pipe, LFS thinks it shouldn't be a problem as the Hydor inline heater unit barely reduces the flow through the pipe. Never thought if be so glad to see Rams doing there thing and squaring off over a pea.

Think it's over, Rams nearly back to normal as is every other fish, no more deaths this morning and water is crystal clear even without Purigen :) plants might recover as the Vallisneria has not melted anymore and less bits floating in the water, going to keep doing water changes for a few days just to make sure everything is back to normal. Can maybe start tackling the BBA next week, got some great advice from Aqua Medic on this forum. The only thing that has changed is the pH, usually my tank sits at around 6.6, but it's up to 7.23 - ill be keeping an eye on this, probably due to water changes as the bogwood usually lowers it in my tank.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions with my recent problem, really did help having a bit of support. Everything is back to normal for the fish, having to replace 2 Valls as they are beyond saving, but I can live with that and sent the new Purigen back today. Funny thing is my water has never looked as clean, probably a combo of the constant 50% tapwater / RO water changes and carbon I'm running, either way I could not go through that again unless Seachem comes up with a sure fire regen test no more Purigen for me.

See in the pic, crystal clear water - melted Valls left and right, and a 3rd one is already removed and replaced with some other plant front right.

Nice set up! Glad everything is back to normal. Isn't it amazing how quick a tank can rebound if you take quick action. I'm really glad I put the UV on, when it's time to service the canister I was going to take the Purgen out but now I am definitely taking it out!

Back
Top Bottom