Python Elevation Capabilities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ringfinger

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm talking about 10' of elevation... Does it create enough suction to pull water out of a tank in the basement and then up some stairs to the bathroom sink? Anyone have experience with this? I am guessing that it might take an extra minute to get started but once the water reaches the sink it really takes off.

It still operates slightly on a 0 lift principle.. going up 10 feet would require a powerful pump.. syphon is no go.. (like a river running up hill)

Thats a tough one. The properties of the venturi siphon physically "should" work. Even with the change of elevation, the suction that is produced in the python from the sink is not going to be elivated due to the pressure it will take to pull the water through. Basically there is a certain force your venturi siphon is going to have to create in order to over come the gravitational force to pull the water up the hose.

In my eyes, assuming you have a descent amout of water pressure that isn't going to allow the pressue building in the hose to disipate, over time enough pressure will be built to pull the water through. This is the only problem... the cheap water bed type peices they put on the end of the python don't hold this pressure well, but this is the only thing im not sure aobut. The amount of time it takes is the amount of time it takes to build that pressure.

The idea that once the water gets to the end of the hose it should be fine is wrong. It isn't a traditional siphon principle that the flowing water is what keeps pulling, its the venturi's ability to produce a pulling force in the hose by using pressure provided by the sink. With that being said even if you had the water in the hose at the sink, and turned on the python, it wouldn't start pulling water through until you build up the pressure required to continue pulling through the assembly.

In my eyes, if you are patient enough, and your sink has enough water pressure to allow the siphon to hold the pressure in the hose, and assuming that the venturi can keep the pressure its building, it should be fine.

Give it a try and if it doesn't work, take it back, thats why stores have return policies, just make sure you check first.

I have my tanks in the basement and I have a python.. I drain my tank into the opening that is beside the hot water tank. I then fill it from upstairs taps... It is fun to watch me run up and down the stairs...

Moose

becareful putting too much water down the drains you see in the basement floor of a house. Typically they aren't ran to the sewage system through an ejector, but rather to the sump pit and pumped back into your yard. This should be fine in most cases however, too much constant water in these drain pipes, intended for water run off from the soil could be harmful. Point is, don't use water run off drains as sewage lines, or at least i wouldn't.

yeah i am a canuck so I think / hope our sewage is safe to do this.. I've talk to a few fellow aquarium people in my city and they said it would be ok.. Milage may vary...

Thanks for mentioning that jcarlilesiu....

Back
Top Bottom