Cannot bring pH down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks again, everyone. *sigh* I really did not think using the apparatus that came with the aquarium, packaged, could cause all this trouble. I guess I will see once I get the master test kit I ordered and replace the water with bottled.

I do wonder about the bubble wall device... I turned the air on and nothing came out of the little holes along the wall, initially. Air came out a big hole down on one corner, a ribbed shaft that looked like you would hook other things to it. So, it DOES already have a different route for air to flow, but it barely puts out a couple bubbles a second. So, I plugged it. That sent air through the bubble holes all along the device, but they are very small and numerous, maybe too numerous (at this point I really don't know).

Looks like keeping fish is going to be 3D printing all over again (and there is no longer a 3D printer in my home, if you catch my meaning). I'll have to see how much the kiddo is willing to take on, because this already seems a little ridiculous to me when the equipment from pre-packaged set ends up having so many variables to it.

As Aiken said, though, hopefully it isn't the pH at all. We'll see what happens after a fishless cycle. Waiting for my test kit then going to buy a jumbo shrimp. *smile*

Thanks again,
sutekh137

For what it's worth, getting started with fish keeping can be daunting because it SOUNDS very complicated. Trust me, it isn't. Fish keeping started out as a kid's hobby and has grown from that. There is a lot of bad information out there in the internet world as well as the chain stores but if you find a good source of information ( such as from certain people here ;):D ) you'll get through it. (y) I started keeping fish a mere 57 years ago. A lot of information has been uncovered in that time and methods have shifted but there is a bottom line to fish keeping and it can be as simple or as hard as you want to make it. You might serve yourself well to pick up a good book on fish keeping as well. Here's one that is good for beginners. Very straight forward. (y) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4915153-the-simple-guide-to-freshwater-aquariums
It's always good to know not only what to do but why you are doing it.
That bottom line is this: You are trying to make a biologically sound environment for the fish to live in. That involves a little more than just adding water to a recepticle and fish. I haven't used a 3 d printer yet but I'm pretty sure fish keeping is easier. ;) ;) In the end, fish keeping should be a very relaxing hobby. There's a reason why places like Dr's offices and other high stress environments have fish tanks in their offices. (y)

As for the bubble wall, it sounds like you did the right thing with plugging the hole but that is not the same as using a gang valve. I believe those were designed to be able to add on additional walls to the string.

Those starter kits and not designed to be all inclusive. They are just a way to get you into the hobby needing more equipment, hopefully from that store. That's just the way of any business. (This is coming from someone who spent 45+ years in the fish business fyi ;) )

We're here to help if you need it. (y)

You can make the hobby as complex or as simple as you like.

Stock lightly, change water regularly, and add new fish gradually and you will likely keep your fish healthy and happy without knowing anything technical.

Back
Top Bottom