Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question about something growing in my aquarium

I have a 10g currently going through a fishless cycle and I have a question for the experienced.

My tank has been running for less than a week and I have experienced a bacterial bloom that clouded the tank and it has just cleared, but since it has cleared I have white algae like strands growing from my gravel substrate. It is predominantly in quiet flow areas, like the furthest points from my filter and where protected by decorations. Again, since I don't have any fish, I'm not too concerned and am going to wait till it goes away and my cycle to properly finish before getting fish, but I am wondering what would be growing in my tank. I'll try to get some pictures soon, but hopefully my description can help.

My current tank params are as follows;
28C
pH 7.8
and i'm currently keeping my ammo at ~4ppm with no nitrites or nitrates showing yet.

Thanks
Dave

Old 03-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I have a 10g currently going through a fishless cycle and I have a question for the experienced.

My tank has been running for less than a week and I have experienced a bacterial bloom that clouded the tank and it has just cleared, but since it has cleared I have white algae like strands growing from my gravel substrate. It is predominantly in quiet flow areas, like the furthest points from my filter and where protected by decorations. Again, since I don't have any fish, I'm not too concerned and am going to wait till it goes away and my cycle to properly finish before getting fish, but I am wondering what would be growing in my tank. I'll try to get some pictures soon, but hopefully my description can help.

My current tank params are as follows;
28C
pH 7.8
and i'm currently keeping my ammo at ~4ppm with no nitrites or nitrates showing yet.

Thanks
Dave
Do you have any pics? That would help.

Who say's that you can't have more than one tank? Just get one more... just one...
phoenixkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi it could be just a kind of fungus growing on something? What are you using to add the ammonia to the tank?
Old 03-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yeah, I know pics will help a great deal, and I'll get them asap. I am just using standard no-additive household ammonia, not much for labeling though.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi OK. I was just wondering as if you had put in some prawn like some people do this can turn white with fungus? If not i would simply keep an eye on it and see how it reacts as the tank 'cycles'
Old 03-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingrays4 View Post
Hi OK. I was just wondering as if you had put in some prawn like some people do this can turn white with fungus? If not i would simply keep an eye on it and see how it reacts as the tank 'cycles'
Yeah, I would say wait until it does something else...

Who say's that you can't have more than one tank? Just get one more... just one...
Old 03-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Some Pictures

Here are a couple pictures that best capture what's growing. Hopefully somebody can help me out here.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020126-from RAW.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	84009   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020130-from RAW.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	84010  

Old 03-22-2012, 04:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Here are a couple pictures that best capture what's growing. Hopefully somebody can help me out here.

Thanks
Are the "growths" only on the gravel?

What prep did you do before starting the cycle?
Old 03-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The stuff seems to be only growing from the gravel. When I got the tank, it was a bare tank with the filter (no media), and about 2 gallons of tank water from the person who gave it to me.

I bought a hood, heater, sponge media, gravel and the rocks. I rinsed everything off, I though, quite well. Put it all together and it's been running for about a week now.

Again, the water went very cloudy after a day or two, which I concluded from forums that it was a bacterial bloom. That has since cleared, and then this stuff started to grow.

Again, my latest tests show no change in pH or ammonia with my nitrites and nitrates remaining at zero.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The stuff seems to be only growing from the gravel. When I got the tank, it was a bare tank with the filter (no media), and about 2 gallons of tank water from the person who gave it to me.

I bought a hood, heater, sponge media, gravel and the rocks. I rinsed everything off, I though, quite well. Put it all together and it's been running for about a week now.

Again, the water went very cloudy after a day or two, which I concluded from forums that it was a bacterial bloom. That has since cleared, and then this stuff started to grow.

Again, my latest tests show no change in pH or ammonia with my nitrites and nitrates remaining at zero.
Maybe you should boil the gravel in dechlorinated water. And do a big water change w/gravel vacuum. No clue what it is.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com