Re arranging my tank- need advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimmyjam923

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am considering re arranging my 75g tank to provide some better caves and improve the overall look. I have had this tank set up for about 6 years. In that time the convicts, leporinus and dempsey i have had in there have done a number on the gravel sand mix and as such have filled in certain areas. I want to take the rock out and level out the substrate and then replace the rocks creating several new caves. I also want to end up with about 3 to 5 dempsey size american cichlids and 1 featherfin cat thats about 5 inches now. The leporinus will be removed as well. I have a aqueon 75 HOB and a API XP M canister, weekly water changes of about 15 to 20% are the norm and light vacuuming of the substrate where i can reach it.
My questions are this:
Should i anticipate problems trying to re level such an old substrate?
Should i try to do it all at once or maybe in stages?
Should i maybe remove some of the large rocks with that many fish?

Here is a before and after pic of the tank. Before is 6 years ago and after is today.. The fish tore up my plants so they have been gone for a while.
FB_IMG_1562440422897.jpg20190706_170859_HDR.jpg

You might start doing weekly 50% weekly water changes to control the algae with a few Nerite snails.

Back
Top Bottom