Recommendations for Algae Eater / Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking for my future resident bottom dweller and/or algae cleaning fish. I have a 65 gallon tank that just getting started and I think I'll be doing a species tank.

Any recommendations?

bristlenose pleco and i agree with the corys and depending on stocking you could do upside down catfish

if you want algae eaters, the best IMO are BN plecos and otos, they did the job for my uncle when he had a huge outbreak of algae in his 120g, 3 bn plecos, 8 ottos did the job in a matter of a month or so, you can see the difference in a week

as for a bottom dweller, you can never go wrong with a school of corries, they are not algae eaters, but IMO they are the best/cutest bottom dwelling species out there... also loaches ^_^

Thanks for all the great advice. I'll have a few weeks to mull this over while my tank cycles.

JetaJockey - Are you saying a 65 Gal is too small for clown loaches? What size tank do you need?

Clown loaches can grow upwards of 10" but they are very slow growers. I never recommend a fish for algae control, In my opinion I would rather fix the problem rather than contributing to the bioload. If you like plecs buy them for that reason not a temporary situation.

I agree BN Catfish, lots of variations available. But just recently bought some pit-bull pleco's and have found them to be a most fascinating fish, worth a look out for. Also on the 'entertaining' radar would have to be shrimp, again many varieties to choose from. Also their bio-load is near insignificant, so you can add a good colony of these without upsetting your water condition.

Back
Top Bottom