recommendations for what fish i should get for my 55 gallon fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masterfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok so im currently setting up a 55 galoon fish tank and right now the fish ii have are a ton of mollys (planning to get rid of alot) khuili loach,3 ghost shrimp,plecostomus,and 1 zebra danio............im looking for fish that would get along with all these fish and are pretty cheap and look awesome......also if they breed easy or not and what i should do if you think there good for me to breed.....plz give me a good idea

ok so im currently setting up a 55 galoon fish tank and right now the fish ii have are a ton of mollys (planning to get rid of alot) khuili loach,3 ghost shrimp,plecostomus,and 1 zebra danio............im looking for fish that would get along with all these fish and are pretty cheap and look awesome......also if they breed easy or not and what i should do if you think there good for me to breed.....plz give me a good idea
Well African Leaf Fish (not the spotted leaf fish) is awesome! But it will consume the shrimp and most likely the zebra danio very quickly lol. Brown Knife Fish are really cool as well.

The Brown knifefish may also eat the zebra danio once it gets larger. It is pretty peaceful for a fish of its size but it will still eat anything that will fit in its mouth.

The Brown knifefish may also eat the zebra danio once it gets larger. It is pretty peaceful for a fish of its size but it will still eat anything that will fit in its mouth.
Oh I didnt realize it would get that big.

Hope its not like that black ghost knifefish or something that thing looks mean .....but cool

I have yet to find the perfect group fish lol I will want to see the suggestions of others.

Harlequin rasboras. They've been the only fish I've purchased that have actually schooled together longer than a few minutes.

Rummynose tetra are brilliant, tight schooling fish. They do well in good sized groups :)

Hope its not like that black ghost knifefish or something that thing looks mean .....but cool

Those guys are probably the most peaceful docile knife. Agreed though brown knifes can be a bit on the aggressive side but still a awesome fish. I would look into Australian rainbows or turquoise rainbows.

Haha I think the Black Ghostknives look peaceful but yes they are little predators that turn into huge killing machines!

Im kinda hoping if I get it,it will take out some of my mollys (I have like 20)

Look at some rainbowfish. Just check out adult pictures of the species you want online, because the ones at the lfs will be too young to have much color.

Here is a part of an article I read that you might find helpful:

The Asian Riverbed Aquarium (120-200 liter)
This set up is very nice if you are willing to install a fairly strong current in your aquarium. It will mimic a South-East Asian riverbed biotope and should therefore ideally be heavily planted. Keeping a planted aquarium is actually easier than keeping a non-planted one since the plants will remove waste products from the water and help you keep the levels of oxygen up. Ask your local fish store for sturdy plant species that will thrive under normal] and require no additional carbon dioxide or fertilizers. This Asia Riverbed setup is inhabited by 15 Zebra Danios, 10 Tiger barbs, 4 Tinfoil barbs and 1 Red Tail Shark. The Red Tail Shark is not a true shark; it is a shark minnow that lives in freshwater only.
The Gourami Aquarium (120-200 liters)
The Gourami Tank is a nice setup if you are a beginner aquarist with a 120-200 liter aquarium. The base of the aquarium will be two different Gourami species: the Pearl Gourami and the Dwarf Gourami. Combining two males and four females from each species (i.e. 12 Gouramis in total) will provide you with a good sex ratio. Two male and two female specimens of the Friendly Betta will add activity to the lower range of the aquarium, while a Bristlenose catfish (one of the Ancistrus spp.) will help you keep algae under control. Last but not least, add a school of six inexpensive Corydoras cat fish. They will add activity to the bottom as well as help you keep the aquarium clean. Never get less than six Corydoras since this is a schooling species.
The Malawi Tank (120-200 liters)
Many beginner aquarists automatically choose tetras and swordtails since this is what shop recommended them, but the world is filled with suitable beginner species and there is no need to go for the species that “everyone else” gets. Even as a beginner, a devoted aquarist can for instance successfully keep a Lake Malawi aquarium with colorful, albeit somewhat aggressive, cichlids. With a 120-200 liter aquarium, you will have room for quite a lot of medium-sized cichlids. Keeping the aquarium well-stocked will actually reduce aggression, so do not attempt this setup unless you are prepared to purchase all the fishes at once. The genus Pseudotropheus contains several suitable species and you can for instance pick six Pseudotropheus estherae and six Pseudotropheus socolofi. Add six more fish from the species Labeotropheus trewavasae and finish by purchasing two Cuckoo catfish. These fishes hail from the rocky shores of Lake Malawi and the aquarium should therefore be aquascaped using lots of rocks. You can try adding plants if you want to, but they will most likely be destroyed.

Haha I think the Black Ghostknives look peaceful but yes they are little predators that turn into huge killing machines!

What are you talking about they don't turn into killing machines at all they won't bother anything over 4 inches even when they get big. Are you thinking of clown knives these guys turn into killers.

Back
Top Bottom