Rocks Safe for Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dxs2104

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I could use some help identifying some rocks to make sure they are safe for to put in my tank. I grabbed them from a freshwater river in Vermont. Pretty certain the #8 rocks are Fe2O3.

dscn0256y.jpg

Best way to test them is with diluted hydrochloric acid i.e muratic acid. If it fizzes and bubbles then they are no go. Also, PH down will work for testing.

Ok so I boiled all the rocks for a few min, let them cool down, then tested them with toilet boil cleaner (HCl). It worked really well actually, turned blue to white when reacted with limestone (or anything other base)

Good:
#1, #4, #5, #6, #8 small, #10, #11, #13, #14

Bad:
#3 (mostly good, but back corner reacted)
#7 (must have been limestone, reacted everywhere)
#8 (top was good, back must have been covered in limestone)
#9 & #12

Didnt test #2

Ok so I boiled all the rocks for a few min, let them cool down, then tested them with toilet boil cleaner (HCl). It worked really well actually, turned blue to white when reacted with limestone (or anything other base)

Good:
#1, #4, #5, #6, #8 small, #10, #11, #13, #14

Bad:
#3 (mostly good, but back corner reacted)
#7 (must have been limestone, reacted everywhere)
#8 (top was good, back must have been covered in limestone)
#9 & #12

Didnt test #2

I am worried about 1 thing. That the toilet bowl cleaner had some type of detergent and will be harmful to your tank.

I am worried about 1 thing. That the toilet bowl cleaner had some type of detergent and will be harmful to your tank.

Didn't even think of that...:(

Any chance I could wash/boil them enough to use? I used small drops of the stuff diluted (happen to have a couple pipettes). Already tossed the #8 one, was very porous.

Edit: Playing it safe. Tossing them all. Lesson learned.

If you didn't throw them away, and you want to use them, I would run scalding water over them and scrub with an old tooth brush/wire brush/some sort of abrasive surface. Then rinse one more time, and go.

Back
Top Bottom