Rummy-nose tetra wont swim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orca2013

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got 20 new Rummy-nose tetras in my 63g planted aquarium 10 days ago.
Problem is they just sit in one corner of aquarium and wont swim from one to another side as they always do.
Next to Rummy-nose tetra In aquarium which is well planted i have 20 neon tetras. Neons swim normall

Any help

Hi. My rummy nose tetras are in with lots of other tetras and too stay in one corner of the tank. It is heavily planted and they seem to have made that area their own. They venture out in the evening a bit more. I have other tetras that have taken over other parts of the tank. I think that in a very well planted and relatively large tank they have more of an opportunity to form a territory, more so than in an open tank. They seem very content though. My lemon tetras and black neons are open water swimmers and my diamond head neons are spread all over the tank. The only time I see them all is feeding time and, for a while, it's a real frenzy.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My other tetras have pretty much disrupted my rummies school. They used to be so fun to watch before the others crashed the party. It did seem as though they got their groove back this morning while the lights were coming on.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When I added a shoal of Rummies to my 29 gal last summer, they did the same thing for a few weeks. I thought it was because the tank wasn't planted heavily enough, but they may just take a while to get comfortable.

Is it possible that rummies are afraid of co2 diffuser that makes some noise as I noticed that they sit in opposite corner from it an that they swim a bit more while diffuser is off?

Is it possible that rummies are afraid of co2 diffuser that makes some noise as I noticed that they sit in opposite corner from it an that they swim a bit more while diffuser is off?

Well, its not up to diffuser as I moved it in another corner and nothing happened.

I got 5 rummynose tetras and 4 xray tetras. They all school and swim together in a 20.

Have they ever swam all over the tank, or have they always been stuck in the corner?

What's your lighting? Have you observed them w/ lights off?

Hi Orca, in a follow up to my last post, I have just added 15 cardinals to my tank and the rummy nose have come out of the corner. They have started to swim along with the cardinals. My diamond neons have also joined in. It's good to see more of the rummy nose during the day. Perhaps yours just need more company, sociable company.

Hi Orca, in a follow up to my last post, I have just added 15 cardinals to my tank and the rummy nose have come out of the corner. They have started to swim along with the cardinals. My diamond neons have also joined in. It's good to see more of the rummy nose during the day. Perhaps yours just need more company, sociable company.

Lucky you:fish2::fish2::)
Im also considering to add more fish in my aquarium. How big is your aquarium and how many fish do you have now?

Hi. I have a 65g with two large canister filters and a UV steriliser. I have approx 60 mixed tetras, rummy nose, black neons, diamond head neons, cardinals, lemons, glow lights, serpae, red phantoms and harlequin rasbora. I also have over 100 red cherry shrimp (too many to count) and loads of Malayan trumpet snails. The tank is REALLY heavily planted. 40% water change a week keeps nitrates between 10 & 20. The only tetras that didn't fit in were silver tips, they never slowed down and disrupted the harmony of the tank, and I swapped them. There are no territory disputes and no fin nipping.
I also have about 9 Corey's, pepper and panda and the pepper are breeding.
Tank is probably max stock now but doesn't look it and water tests are always spot on.
More info than you asked for but wanted to paint the whole picture.

Back
Top Bottom